win 2k drawbacks

ckbumps

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I am thinking about uprading from win98 to win 2k and want to know what the negatives are for win2k. I mainly use the puter for net cruising, downloading music , making cd's an occasional game, and word proccesing. would I suffer any drawbacks by switching from win98
also would I be better off paying the $150 or so for the full version or $30 for the upgrade

ckbumps

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I go to school at a wisconsin tech school, they have an agreement with microsoft and a few other software venders that allows them to sell software to students for cheap,
I got office 2000 proffesional for $30!!!
they also offer win me, 2k, microsoft visual studio, etc....

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, I've never seen software that cheap :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Zenthar

Distinguished
I ALWAYS had problems doing upgrades. I always got better results making a clean installation and I think most people concerned with system stability and performance will agree with me.

G

Ive been using it since beta 2 and actually like this OS. Buy the upgrade its a great deal. You will have lots of security features to deal with but with a little searching they can all be turned off so that the computer acts like 98. Also lots of software reports that it doesnt work with the OS during load but most of it still does. It plays games ok but I would go to the web site of your favorites to make sure. Unlike nt4 games can take control of the video hardware.

jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I just loaded a dual sys on my comp a few days ago, win2000 pro & win98. I originally started with only 2000 but afterwards found out the 3d aspect of my video card was not supported. I partitioned a separate drive for 98 and loaded a barebones version and use this only for games. So far I've been very happy with both 2000 & 98. 2000 really does seem to be much more stable than 98.

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used to run 98, 98SE, and ME...I'd upgrade every time it came out (G-d bless my company's MSDN subscription), hoping to get more stability. SE did turn out to be more stable, but ME was the pits. Sure it'd boot quicker, but that wasn't offset by the fact that it'd crash a lot. Anyway, now I run Win2k Advanced Server, and I'm happy as a clam. I've only seen one game that refused to work (Command & Conquer: Red Alert), but that was only because it refused to install, I'm sure it WOULD have worked.

About the security features...just log in as Administrator all the time, and you won't have to deal with it. If your computer is in any way connected to the internet, make sure to get all the latest updates from Windows Update, because people just loooove Win2k vulnerabilities.

So, my vote: get Win2k, and forget the whole dual-boot bullschite.

~Crapple0

"intel inside, idiot outside"

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yessuh. I'm a web developer, and Advanced Server has a much more rubust IIS than Pro, more features like MTS, MSMQ, etc.

Unless you do all that, there aren't very many advantages

~Crapple0

"intel inside, idiot outside"