Win 7 Deletes System Restore Points at Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Huh. This really stinks.

If it flushed all restore points except for the last one, that would be understandable, but this is silly.

Meanwhile at Redmond... :\

G

I always turn off the Virus replication system, er... I mean System Restore...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Deleting system restore points? I'm willing to bet this is a result of people f-ing with system settings to reduce the space taken up by those restore points in the first place. Didn't Vista, by default, consume massive amounts of diskspace for restores points, and didn't Tom's post an article about working around that and all the other Vista stupidity they fixed in Win 7?

Not saying this isn't a problem, I'm just hoping its not a generic bug that affects everybody. And yes, I read that it supposedly happens on clean-installs, but I don't trust what anyone says. "Why yes, this is a clean install from the bootstrapped CD I created with a bunch of OS tweaks."

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
My problem seems to be with the "Critical Update" being installed at Shut Down, and then when I reboot the computer it freezes after about 60 seconds. I use System Restore to go back to the way things were before the critical update and it fixes the problem, but then it tells me again "OMG You need this critical update!"

So far the only thing good about Win 7 is during installation you can use RAID drivers from a flash drive. Everything else appears to be aesthetic. It's not worth the price so far.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
For years, every time I tried to use a restore point the system would try to go back but would always report a 'Failure to restore to previous settings'. Now I have 3 physical HDD's in use. One for System, one for my files and applications installs, and a final drive for my downloads.
If my systems gets buggy I just copy my current browser settings along with Outlook and reinstall. OK, it takes 6-8 hours to get it all back and updated but there is something very calming about a clean install.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
This is a bummer. System restore is one of the better windows vista/7 features. This bug is definitely did not affect me when I was on vista; it's a new w7 bug.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]I shut off System Restore and just back up regularily for the performance boost ^.^[/citation]

You do not understand how system restore works if you think you gained any performance boost at all (beyond the trivial drive space saved...which is then automatically freed if needed anyway).

Why do people always think they can "tweak" their OS better than the people that actually wrote it?

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
system restore is unbelievably useful. Even in a full non-boot situation you can just go to system volume information and grab an intact copy of your registry. I've had it save my butt about half a dozen times since the XP days and never once was the problem virus related.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I learned this issue out the other day when I updated my wife's computer... the driver I installed produced a blue screen and then when I attempted to restore all my restore points were gone! :(

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Simonetti[/nom]You mean that people who wrote the OS that needs a patch every Tuesday?Or the OS that isn't stable until SP2 at least?[/citation]I believe you'll find Windows 7 sp0 is stable.

[citation]Or maybe you mean the people who wrote the OS that could be easily affected by virii like Conficker?[/citation]
Sorry but if you used that "patch tuesday" you were just griping about then you wouldn't be vulnerable.

[citation]A clean install of Windows is an OS waiting, asking to be tweaked and YES, IMPROVED![/citation]
..and yet you think that removing a feature that costs essentially nothing in terms of performance but drastically reduces supportability would be an improvement?

Sorry but the Windows developers really do know more than you. Really.

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I disable system restore as soon as I complete any fresh installation. I hate it. In the unlikely event of the OS getting screwed I'll just do a fresh install. No point in dragging a wounded horse, you have to shoot it, this is the same.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
If the system reboots properly and the restore point is shredded... what makes you think that the restore point is worth keeping!!! The point is to be able to undo the last change you made to get the system running again. Guess what, if you reboot normally the system is running fine and keeping the restore point is therefore useless! If your system crashes after rebooting and deleting the restore point, you f*ed up something ELSE and the restore point isn't what you need to use to fix it. Try safe mode for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS