Win 7 hard freeze, no display, no BSoD

Novabreaker

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I am having an issue with a system that I built a few weeks back. I have two identical systems (specs listed below), and one of the systems is having issues with random hard freezes while playing games.

-CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965
-MB: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3
-GPU: GeForce GTX 460 v2
-HDD: WD Green WD5000AZRX
-RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333
-PSU: Diablotek PSUL575 575W

The system will lose display (monitor goes to sleep), keyboard stays on but is unresponsive (caps key will not turn on/off), and the system stays on with no BSoD prior to losing display.

After restart, there is no "Windows has recovered from a serious error" window. I have tried swapping memory and graphics card with the working system.

I have tried removing and re-installing drivers for the GPU and motherboard.

Only think I can think of at this point is sending the mobo back RMA and getting a replacement, or ordering a new one outright.

Does anyone else have any other ideas as to what I could try?

(Edit: The working system has the GPU overclocked. The system with the freeze is stock. I've also monitored the temperatures on the freezing system and everything seems normal. CPU idles at 25-30C, 40c when gaming, GPU is around 60c gaming and the mobo temp is around 35c when gaming. This is while playing Skyrim on Ultra.)

Software problem? I would try running chkdsk to see if it finds anything. Start, type cmd, Right Click on Cmd prompt and 'Run as Administrator'. Type chkdsk /f /r then Enter. (note spaces before /). Type Y and Enter to run the program when you restart Windows. Expect it to take a long time if you have a large drive. Use this to check out the chkdsk log
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html
If nothing obvious found and fault continues consider Re-install/ Repair Install of Windows.
Edit
One other possibility is a rogue process/service, can be eliminated by employing Clean Startup, it's a bit long-winded but effective.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Shouldn't be RAM, quote "I have tried swapping memory and graphics card with the working system."
Can't rule out bad memory controller on the CPU or a bad slot, possible but unusual...

Novabreaker

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Ran chkdsk, had an error that required a script to fix. Ran script and fixed the error. System still hard freezes.

Reformatted system and only installed graphics driver from nVidia and one game (GTA4 to make sure it wasn't just Skyrim), and the system still hard freezes.

Rolled back driver to the basic one that comes with Win7 and it still hard freezes.

(Edit: I have the option to restart after error turned off so I could attempt to get a BSoD, Stop code, or something and it just dies)

chavez1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes
No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers especially the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI ontrollers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.

I believe the ACPI drivers have caused a few issues with W8, but not aware that W7 had any. Plus when you have indentical systems and one behaves itself, presumably with the the same driver installations, a difficult one to diagnose. Anyway, congratulations on your success, hope it continues to run!