Win 7 installation

Gobrowny

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Can you install Win 7 on a new internal hard drive on a laptop if you have an ISO install USB from another computer, as long as it is the same Win 7 home premium 64 bit. It will have a different licence key though, as it is from a different computer. Does that matter?

Jun 5, 2013
not sure i understand you right. when you install an OS in a HD, everything supposed to be wiped out, any previous OS. usually a prompt comes up asking you to like either install in new partition or you can wipe everything and put a new OS on the HD.

Gobrowny

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
What I am wanting to do is install Win7 OS on a new hard drive. I can get the OS from one computer and then put in on the other computer that will have the new hard drive. Is that clearer?

Jun 5, 2013
hmmm...if you want the same drive data and os to be on a different computer, there is this feature, "sysprep".

suppose to transfer same drive data along with os to a different computer. you can search it on run searh box. not without risk, backup that drive first then attempt , in case of failure.

i think as long as partition system is same, it can work(ex: mbr -mbr, gpt-gpt).

if you looking for putting win 7 on different computer, legally you supposed to have different liscense code on different computers. otherwise, computer would prompt you to get a new liscence key every so often, you can still use it after installation .

jerdle

Admirable
You can install windows 7 on as many hard drives as you want using an ISO. Each will require a unique activation key, but the installer works the same regardless...

If you're asking if you can install it on a hard drive in another computer, then move the drive into a laptop, the drive will be readable as a secondary drive, but not a bootable one inside the laptop.

Latest posts