[SOLVED] Win 7 updates always fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
So I currently dual boot on my system, I need win 7 to use Tridef 3D for stereoscopic gaming. While windows 7 was my one and only OS, it developed an issue where it would fail to get past certain updates. I assumed this was Microsoft being anticonsumer as per usual, but weirdly after setting up my laptop and 2nd pc in a clean win7 install, those are fully up to date with no issues.

I tried using SFC scan and it found nothing, yet this quality rollup update refuses to work. What happens is it will download updates, 3 of them will fail, then it will repeat the process. This had been happening way before I cloned the drive for a parralel win 10 install.

Anyone have any ideas other than a fresh install? I have a bunch of software on there that might not be recoverable, and it would take a long time to get everything back to how it is now, so that's really not an option.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
AMD FX-8370
GTX 1060
16GB DDR3 RAM
2 OS SSDs
3 HDDs

Last edited:

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020

Well I tried it twice, it supposedly fixed the issues both times, and while it allowed me to install some updates, the usual suspects have failed.
OWwAla.png

iJw710.png
l8qjOu.png

Any ideas?

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
There were normally so many Win7 updates pending (120-130 or so?) , I had no choice but to install but 10-15 at a time (which took the better part of a day) to prevent it from timing out...
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that. When I've tried to install these 3 specific updates they always fail. Coincidentally my laptop (different machine) seems to also be unable to install these updates too...

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
The fix for that error (80092004 )can be found in this article: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/08/15/i...92004-on-windows-7-or-server-2008-r2-do-this/

TLDR: Microsoft dropped SHA-1 signature support and systems without the proper update/s installed will fail to install any updates signed with only SHA-2.
Wow, this actually seems to have worked. Weird that microsoft presumably blocked my system from the update, despite me not having any of the antivirus programs that supposedly conflicted with it. I manually installed the missing update for SHA-2, then installed 9 updates, 1 failed. Restarted, did the last update again and it worked without issue. Now more updates are showing up so hopefully it doesn't get stuck again.

Edit: I am fully up to date!

I guess I was naive to think that windows update and/or the update troubleshooter would have caught this if that was the nature of the issue.

Thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.