Win 7 upgrade

mazuren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I'm going to do a new build, and I have access to a free legitime windows 7 upgrade. To minimize costs I'm going for that option. This requires some windows to be installed first. I'm thinking about downloading a cracked windows XP or Vista, and then upgrading to a legal windows 7.

1. What will be the drawbacks of an upgraded OS?
2. What will the difference be if upgraded from XP or Vista?

Thank you

Ariunbold

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I dont need xp or vista to upgrade windows 7. Download and burn win7 then boot from the disk. And windows 7 is ofcourse newer, fast os, better than xp also vista. Xp is better than vista.

Ariunbold

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
U dont need xp or vista to upgrade windows 7. Download and burn win7 then boot from the disk. And windows 7 is ofcourse newer, fast os, better than xp also vista. Xp is better than vista.

mazuren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I dont need xp or vista to upgrade windows 7. Download and burn win7 then boot from the disk. And windows 7 is ofcourse newer, fast os, better than xp also vista. Xp is better than vista.
Okay first, I did not ask for the difference between XP and vista, or if windows 7 is newer or faster... why is always possible for you guys to give completely random answers? Can someone, please, just give me answers on my questions without the need for me to talk you through it like babies...

Not everyone on this site speaks english as their native language so there are misinterpretations at times --- that said he did pretty much give you an answer to your questions :

1. What will be the drawbacks of an upgraded OS? There is no drawbacks as the Upgrade files are exactly the same as any other version of the OS -- Just the License key differs !

2. What will the difference be if upgraded from XP or Vista? - As stated in Question #1 There is no difference in the resulting Installation since all of the files are identical

That said there is a problem with your intentions --- Using Upgrade media wiithout an acceptable ("LEGAL") upgradeable OS would not result in a Legal copy of the OS and "MAY" not activate --- you can install the upgrade copy of the OS using just the Upgrade media without the need to install any other previous version of the OS as Ariunbold mentioned BUT the resulting license will not be "Legal" since you installed a product that was designed as an Upgrade and did not possess a "Legal" copy of that OS to upgrade ( You can not get a legal OS by upgrading using a non legal older OS ) --- It will install and let you use it for an introductory 30 day period but will need to be activated -- And in order to activate you will need to talk to a microsofts support personnel (the activation will usually fail and you will be instructed to call MS for help ) At which time you will need to give them the product key of the upgrade media and the product code of the OS you are using for the upgrade --- and since you do not have a code for a legal older version they will not activate it foor you and will instruct you that you need to purchase either an old OS key to use the upgrade or return the Upgrade media and get an OEM or Retail version to use with a new system instead of an Upgrade.

raven2510

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Question???

I have and old laptop with Win XP with a busted screen. I'm building a new desktop and have a legal upgrade for Win7. Can i get the key off the old laptop and use in for the new desktop?
I can't seem to find a good answer to this?

Should be able to --- to Activate all you need is a legal product key from the old OS (which you have from the laptop) and the product key from the upgrade media (which you have) so when you call to activate they will give you a working activation response code ( you just have to not try to keep using the old OS if you ever get the laptop fixed since that license will be nullified at the time you use it for the upgrade activation.

SInce you will be upgrading from XP you will need to use the "Custom Install" option from the setup since win7 does not support in place upgrades from XP (only VISTA) See here for details on upgrading from XP to Win 7

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Draw backs --
Draw back 1 if you upgrade from 32-bit OS you must keep 32bit -os windows xp 32 bit is better then windows 7 32-bit because there is no preformance gain, and xp uses less resorces.

Draw back 2.. Upgrading from another OS is always slower then a clean install. period.

Differences. ---
I don't think its to smart to upgrade from XP because your stuck with 32-bit , also upgrading from vista results in slower preformance.
If you upgrade from a "cracked" copy it is still pirating and therefor not legal.
IF you don't have more then 4gb of RAM keep the windows XP, but if you have more then 4gb RAM (EG 6gb+) go for windows vista x64 - > windows 7 x64.

I am a certified professional. I do not recommend pirating software because that's stealing.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

No that's not legal. that code is OEM and is just for a ONE time use with that laptop. Standard end user licences permit that but not OEM.

Upgrade license says it can be used to upgrade either retail or OEM version and the resulting combined license becomes a Retail licence according to their EULA !!

I would install the Upgrade using the Custom option selection and using a "Clean Install" including reformatting the HDD -- (to upgrade from XP this is the way it has to be done anyway - see the tutorial linked earlier which shows the steps including backing up any info you need from the old XP install )

Then try to activate -- sometimes that will work but usually it will fail and tell you you need to call the activation center -- Upon calling a computer operator will ask you to enter the product key and since it is an upgrade license will also ask for the Key from the old OS that you are using for the upgrade at which point one of two things will happen

1. the computer will give you a valid response code to enter that will activate the install

2. the activation will fail and pass you to an actual support person --- at which point you will need to answer the questions they ask and as long as all checks out they will give you a response code to enter to complete the activation

I have done this a few times and never had any problems getting a new activation response code for various systems and since the upgrade versions says it can be used to upgrade from XP or Vista as long as you have a valid product key from one of those OSes then you should not have problems.