Question Win10 crashes when gfx drivers installed.

m.little87

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
Fresh build pc. I have an issue with my gfx cards, but after having this issue occur with the new one, I am trying my old RX 470 and now it's reporting errors as well. In Driver Manager it says "driver may be corrupted or missing". Could it be my motherboard, or is there something else going on? The drivers for the mobo install fine, but I keep finding small '642' errors in the event viewer. Whenever I update the Radeon drivers, the apps go black and it gets stuck in a constant reboot loop until I reinstall Windows altogether. It always happens when it updates anything to do with the drivers. Also, it might be worth mentioning that the mobo itself, has an HDMI port, but it doesn't seem to work when I plug my monitor into it, and I find no settings in the display showing it as an option.

Build list:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
MOBO: ASUS X570-P
RAM: GSKILL Ripjaw V series, 16GB (2 x 8) DDR4, 288 pin at 3600
GFX: ASRock Phantom RX5500 XT 8G / RX 470 Sapphire Radeon 4G
HD: Crucial BX500 1TB SSD

logainofhades

Titan
Is windows fully up to date, before you try doing the driver install? Is your windows 10 install the latest version, from Microsoft? Very old revisions of the installation, can be problematic. When I upgraded my 3700x, I used an old version, that I had on my USB drive. It was a terrible experience. Crashes, and BSOD galore. Used my laptop to get the latest version, at the time, and instantly my problems disappeared. Also, what is the make/model, on your power supply?

m.little87

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
Is windows fully up to date, before you try doing the driver install? Is your windows 10 install the latest version, from Microsoft? Very old revisions of the installation, can be problematic. When I upgraded my 3700x, I used an old version, that I had on my USB drive. It was a terrible experience. Crashes, and BSOD galore. Used my laptop to get the latest version, at the time, and instantly my problems disappeared. Also, what is the make/model, on your power supply?

Yes, I have made sure all drivers and everything else was up to date. The version I got was from Microsofts website, last updated 7/1/2020. The PSU is Thermaltake Smart Series 700w. Model - PS-SPD-0700NPCWUS-W