lilith002

Prominent
May 21, 2018
System
MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF
Intel i7-8750H
GTX 1070 MQ
1TB Samsung Evo Plus M.2

Edit: Windows Install launches automatically using the Install Media that I created, but with the Win10 USB I have, the system will only load to BIOS. Could the Win10 USB just be DOA?

I am currently trying to install Windows from a Windows USB, but I am in the UEFI/BIOS boot tab and am at a loss of what to do.

Steps so far
I have removed the SSD that the system came with and installed the new SSD. While in BIOS, I have the Win10 USB connected. I tried to boot from USB CD/DVD and USB Hard Disk, but I keep returning to BIOS. I see no option for the Windows USB. I followed another instruction to hit F11 to enter boot menu, but BIOS loads instead. I've searched and can not find an answer.

Under the Boot Tab
Boot Configuration
Boot Numlock State: On
Fast Boot: Enabled
Boot Mode Select: UEFI

Fix Boot Order Priorities
Boot Option #1: USB CD/DVD
Boot Option #2: Hard Disk
Boot Option #3: USB Hard Disk
Boot Option#4: Network

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Okay, you had a USB from MS and a USB you made from the Windows Media Creator. and to answer your question, yes the MS USB could very well be faulty. As far as the 'UEFI from CSM' option, the menu appears when you push the "Boot Mode Select" in your BIOS; this is a screen shot from your MB manual of the BIOS screen
bios.jpg
"Windows Install launches automatically using the Install Media that I created, but with the Win10 USB I have, the system will only load to BIOS. Could the Win10 USB just be DOA? " You need to be more clear. Do you have two windows install media. First you say the windows install launches, followed by the Win USB will only load to the BIOS. If you are going to install windows from a USB, you should do so from the Windows Media Creator. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

You need to boot from the USB CD/DVD, which would be for a Windows install; a USB Hard Disk is an external HDD that plugs in a USB port. I've seen a BIOS configured in such a way before, which makes me think, if you are booting from a USB, the DVD player should be empty. If your USB is not booting, first try another USB port nad if that doesn't work, make another install USB.

Last edited:

lilith002

Prominent
May 21, 2018
"Windows Install launches automatically using the Install Media that I created, but with the Win10 USB I have, the system will only load to BIOS. Could the Win10 USB just be DOA? " You need to be more clear. Do you have two windows install media. First you say the windows install launches, followed by the Win USB will only load to the BIOS. If you are going to install windows from a USB, you should do so from the Windows Media Creator. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

You need to boot from the USB CD/DVD, which would be for a Windows install; a USB Hard Disk is an external HDD that plugs in a USB port. I've seen a BIOS configured in such a way before, which makes me think, if you are booting from a USB, the DVD player should be empty. If your USB is not booting, first try another USB port nad if that doesn't work, make another install USB.

I tried to boot from the USB CD/DVD and tried all ports available to no avail unfortunately. I ultimately used Installation Media that I created to install the OS. Unfortunately, and I don't think I'm missing any drivers or anything, I'm receiving a lot or warnings, errors, and even a critical notification in the Event Log. Computer runs fine on the surface, but the firmware now keeps limiting processing power. I might slap the old SSD back in which has everything still on it...

The first thing you may wish to try is to change the bios Boot Mode Select, from UEFI to UEFI with CSM. The reason is you are booting from a USB, which is not UEFI device; CSM will automatically decide what mode should be used..

I still don't understand what you mean by installation media that you created? If you are having trouble booting/installing the USB, the Windows Media Creator can also make an ISO that you can burn onto a DVD and install from an optical drive.

Last edited:

lilith002

Prominent
May 21, 2018
The first thing you may wish to try is to change the bios Boot Mode Select, from UEFI to UEFI with CSM. The reason is you are booting from a USB, which is not UEFI device; CSM will automatically decide what mode should be used..

I still don't understand what you mean by installation media that you created? If you are having trouble booting/installing the USB, the Windows Media Creator can also make an ISO that you can burn onto a DVD and install from an optical drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media
This is what I used to install the OS on the new drive. This can be created on USB.

What wouldn't work was the USB purchased from Microsoft for a computer build that never came together.

No 'UEFI from CSM' option is listed. That said, I have the system installed now, but I would have preferred to use the purchased USB. I do think it's possible that the USB I purchased is no good.

Okay, you had a USB from MS and a USB you made from the Windows Media Creator. and to answer your question, yes the MS USB could very well be faulty. As far as the 'UEFI from CSM' option, the menu appears when you push the "Boot Mode Select" in your BIOS; this is a screen shot from your MB manual of the BIOS screen
bios.jpg

Solution

lilith002

Prominent
May 21, 2018

So it does (just checked BIOS) must have missed it somehow. Learned something new, first time doing this. Thank you for the feedback and I'll be contacting Microsoft.