Question Win11 boots into safe mode, but won't boot normally

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
EDIT: Found out what the issue is, mods can delete.

Ok, here's a real weird one for you guys.

This old computer I got, I had earlier booted it into Win11 no problem. Today, I boot it, it gets into Win11 and then I lose image after a few minutes. Monitor blinking as if no signal. When I press num lock the light on the keyboard doesn't respond, but ctrl alt del gets a restart. After restart, as soon as it gets to Windows I get the same thing - no signal on monitor, no response to num lock and I hear repetitive clicking from the case.

When I turn the computer on and press F12 to get boot menu and I select to boot from HDD (which is where Windows is installed) it tells me no boot device, BUT, get this, if I tell it to boot into safe mode, it boots normally. Wtf is going on here???

I thought maybe the cables of the HDD were loose, but no, they're fine and it boots into safe mode every time, just not normal.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ok, so about the "old computer I got" part. Is it old like, pre support old, or old like 2xxx Ryzen or 8th gen Intel? Depending on age it could be any number of issues. Not that I think it is specifically what is causing the issue at hand here, just more curious.

Full specs including the power supply may be helpful.

Do you have another PC on hand? Can you create boot media? I think quickest easiest way may be to create a Linux Live Disk and see if it will boot and perform normally.