[SOLVED] win11 is a real piece of work

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, just for grinz I installed windows 11. What a MISTAKE! Several programs I've been using since win7 were removed without warning under the claim they weren't compatible. Trying to find programs on the start menu made me feel like a blind spelunker. The task bar looks like a piece of work. Beaucoup bloatware was installed without notice or permission. And none of the reviews I saw made any mention of what crap and vandalism win11 does. Tonight, the pc gets restored to win10. Too bad microsoft extorted so many software companies into not supporting win7 because that "os" worked.

Solution
Well, just for grinz I installed windows 11. What a MISTAKE!
Honestly, what were you thinking jumping right in an OS that's still in its beta phase without an escape plan?

Several programs I've been using since win7 were removed without warning under the claim they weren't compatible.
Like what?

Beaucoup bloatware was installed without notice or permission.
Windows 10 does this too

Too bad microsoft extorted so many software companies into not supporting win7 because that "os" worked.
They didn't extort anyone. They simply said "we're not supporting this version anymore" and developers of whatever software you were using can either keep up or they can abandon their projects.

Also this problem isn't...

USAFRet

Titan
Well, that is what is called a BETA/Preview.

If you overwrote your main Win 10 system, well....that's a bad choice.

Beta.....eval...preview.

Next week it will be available for direct Upgrade from Win 10.
Sometime early Spring, available for download and install.

Well, just for grinz I installed windows 11. What a MISTAKE!
Honestly, what were you thinking jumping right in an OS that's still in its beta phase without an escape plan?

Several programs I've been using since win7 were removed without warning under the claim they weren't compatible.
Like what?

Beaucoup bloatware was installed without notice or permission.
Windows 10 does this too

Too bad microsoft extorted so many software companies into not supporting win7 because that "os" worked.
They didn't extort anyone. They simply said "we're not supporting this version anymore" and developers of whatever software you were using can either keep up or they can abandon their projects.

Also this problem isn't unique to Windows. You should try using Linux some time. It's fun when an app can't run because it's too old, is abandoned, and the depencies on the repo are too new for it.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
At least with Microsoft there is generally only one OS you have to make sure app works with, even LInus torvolds says Linux isn't ready for that yet as too many distros.

I only remember I have win 11 when reading these threads. I guess none of my programs are old enough to be touched by its removal policies. No problems I can speak of.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have no specific plan to update/upgrade to 11 on a machine that I actually need and utilize for work tasks.
If I were inclined to do so at the moment, I would remove my current OS drive and utilize another for the test drive of the pre release version. My biggest concern at this point in time is what it's going to do to my older MS Office keys. I am of the thought that they will suddenly be outdated/unusable.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Depends on how old.
Anything O 2013 or later is 'probably' fine.

Right now, most of the machines in question are on 10. I have found within the last year-ish that if you do a clean install and try to reuse the code it will throw the "used too many times" error as invalid. They are typically good for ~3 reactivations in the past. I have some '12 keys waiting in the wings for such, but don't actually anticipate upgrading ANY of my work computers (aside one) for some time moving forward. 10 is good, stable, and I know my way around it well enough to deal with the majority of issues that myself or the other office personnel will encounter. Much as we see here, 11 is going to be a learning curve for many, myself included.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
Win 10 is stable, and supported until Oct 2025.

The only people worrying about Win11 are those afflicted with GHIN Syndrome.

The rest of us will maybe install it on a sacrifical test box, and wait until next year at the earliest for actual rollout.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ agreed.

I have a play/goof off machine that I will try as soon as practical after release just such that I can start the learning and discovery portion but not a machine that would cost me time or money if it isn't playing well. I will testbed other aspects with it before it becomes mission critical.

USAFRet

Titan
^ agreed.

I have a play/goof off machine that I will try as soon as practical after release just such that I can start the learning and discovery portion but not a machine that would cost me time or money if it isn't playing well. I will testbed other aspects with it before it becomes mission critical.
Day 1 of the initial Win 10 Tech Preview, I had it installed on a old sacrificial system, the one referenced here:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its no different to 10, its not worth throwing PC away just to get it.

It should work on any PC that has 10 now (ignoring the hardware stuff) as I gave up looking for differences. Even getting used to where power button is on start.

I only got it through a series of errors, in an attempt to get an ISO to make a VPN I instead installed 11 on main PC. I didn't see why anyone wanted it, and now 2 months later... I still feel same way. Maybe its from looking from other side but my ideas about it haven't really changed. There is nothing in 11 I do now I couldn't do in 10.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know a lot of people knock 10, but in my eyes it's been a great OS for some years now. I actually hope that the course of time will convince MS to extend support for a while. There are a lot of good, workable machines out there that even if they are four more years older than now, will still work fine for basic work/surfing and other duties. Given the call against "e waste" it's honestly a surprising move.

USAFRet

Titan
I obtained a proven Win 11 compatible system over the weekend. The previous owner had Win 11 running no problem.
I'll be standing it up this weekend, just to go 'oooh aahhh'

Eventually, these parts will become the innards of a cool casemod

USAFRet

Titan
I know a lot of people knock 10, but in my eyes it's been a great OS for some years now. I actually hope that the course of time will convince MS to extend support for a while. There are a lot of good, workable machines out there that even if they are four more years older than now, will still work fine for basic work/surfing and other duties. Given the call against "e waste" it's honestly a surprising move.
4 years old today (2017) is 8 years old by the time Win 10 falls off support (2025)

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A lot of you are missing the gist of post.
  1. Several applications were DELETED with no warning or permission.
  2. Many bits or bloatware which have NOTHING to do with an OS were installed, again without warning or permission (Adobe Lightroom, some phone app, some pixel app, etc).
  3. Instead of having applications the default view in the start menu, it's all the BS apps. The pointer to the apps is in very faint, small type.
  4. Where did I say I overwrote win10? As an aside, win11 will let you rollback to win10.