Win2000 won't start after fairly new install

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a fairly new install of win2000. I installed the OS, chipset
drivers, sound drivers, network drivers, windows updates, and antivirus (
AVG). All was well so far. The PC booted fine. I then installed an
Adaptec AHA-2940U card and 4 external hard drives. Again, all went well.
When I rebooted the PC, I accidentally turned off the power supply when
win2000 was loading, (that long white loading bar at the bottom of the
screen). After I restarted, the PC hangs after it finishes the BIOS boot
sequence and waits for the OS to load. No error messages, beeps or
anything, just stops. I have inserted the win2000 setup cd and it boots
from the cd and then says "examining the system" or some such message, and
then again nothing, just hangs. I am going to swap out another hard drive
to see what happens, but I really want to keep all the stuff I have
installed on the PC. I spent around 4-5 hours loading software getting this
ready for my office workstation. Odd that it doesn't give me an error,
BSOD, stack dump, beep or anything. Any ideas?

Hardware
Shuttle AV49PN Via chipset
Celeron 2.4
Fujitsu 3.2 gig hard drive(waiting for a good sale at Best Buy to get a big
drive and copy the drive image)
4 Seagate 30 gig UW SCSI hard drives in external case (ids 11,12,13,14)
(recycled from office trash)
Exabyte 8505xl external drive (id 5)
Adaptec AHA 2940UW (id 7) (recycled from office trash)
Matrox G450 dual
256 megs DDR 2100 RAM

Thanks for your help.

Are you able to bring up the 'F8 menu' ? (ie: hit F8 just after the BIOS
finishes reporting as Windows starts loading to get the startup options).
If so, then try selecting 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' which will give
you a list as modules and drivers load.
If it consistantly stops at the same point every time, then you'll have
another clue to post back.
Anything else going on - drive access lights on or off, for example ?
Have you tried removing the SCSI card which you put in just before the
problem started ?
Kevin.
P.S. If it always stops right after 'Mup.sys' then you're in good company !

Tom <geoman39@nospamcharter.net> wrote:
| I have a fairly new install of win2000. I installed the OS, chipset
| drivers, sound drivers, network drivers, windows updates, and
| antivirus ( AVG). All was well so far. The PC booted fine. I then
| installed an Adaptec AHA-2940U card and 4 external hard drives.
| Again, all went well. When I rebooted the PC, I accidentally turned
| off the power supply when win2000 was loading, (that long white
| hangs after it finishes the BIOS boot sequence and waits for the OS
| to load. No error messages, beeps or anything, just stops. I have
| inserted the win2000 setup cd and it boots from the cd and then says
| "examining the system" or some such message, and then again nothing,
| just hangs. I am going to swap out another hard drive to see what
| happens, but I really want to keep all the stuff I have installed on
| the PC. I spent around 4-5 hours loading software getting this ready
| for my office workstation. Odd that it doesn't give me an error,
| BSOD, stack dump, beep or anything. Any ideas?
|
| Hardware
| Shuttle AV49PN Via chipset
| Celeron 2.4
| Fujitsu 3.2 gig hard drive(waiting for a good sale at Best Buy to get
| a big drive and copy the drive image)
| 4 Seagate 30 gig UW SCSI hard drives in external case (ids
| 11,12,13,14) (recycled from office trash)
| Exabyte 8505xl external drive (id 5)
| Adaptec AHA 2940UW (id 7) (recycled from office trash)
| Matrox G450 dual
| 256 megs DDR 2100 RAM
|
| Thanks for your help.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry,
I did remove the SCSI card and it still didn't boot. There is no F8 message
after it tries to boot from a CD, but I will try.

Tom