Win7 and Win8

Tigerbite

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
So, I currently have Win7, but I need Win8.1 for Project Spark. I haven't really heard anything good about Win8 and I hated trying to navigate it on my brother's laptop, so since I really only need it for Project Spark, I was trying to figure out the best to install both Win7 and Win8.1 and if it would bog down my system any.

I have 1 SSD and 2 HDs. Would I want to install both of them onto the SSD or would I want to install Win8.1 on one of the HDs. (My SSD currently has 47GB of 111GB free.)

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Actually you can use VHD Boot, should work with any version of Windows 7 & Windows 8, and it saves you from having to partition a drive, and when your done, you can just delete it, like a regular file. This might not run Windows 8 at full speed, considering its reading from a file, but its the easiest.

Booting from VHD is definitely an option, but again with only 47GB free on the SSD, I wouldn't host the VHD file there. Even if you don't pre-allocate the space for the VHD (can't recall if one even has the option not to pre-allocate now), 47GB isn't a whole lot to work with between 2 operating systems, one of which has yet to be set up.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Its a file, so it can be moved to where there is free space, all that would be needed is to update the boot loader / BCD, using something like EasyBCD.