Winamp Petition Emerges as Microsoft Considers Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It would be better if it went open source, but Microsoft is better than dying, I suppose. It would be awesome if Microsoft replaced WMP (which sucks) with Winamp, but that will never happen.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'm still using a version of WinAmp that's probably 8yrs old. It works perfectly and does everythign I need, I use it all the time. Why exactly can't I keep using this version? If the WinAmp company goes away it won't affect me for another 10 years maybe. What am I missing here? They built the perfect MP3 player and could have retired 10 yrs ago.... there's no reason to keep updating and adding crap that no one uses.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Now winamp being sold or going open source doesn't bug me at all, i would prefer the open source option. But the shoutcast streaming is my greatest concern since thats what i use winamp for. Other then that that is pretty much all i use winamp for is ShoutCast. If shoutcast go's away then no reason for me to have winamp to begin with. So i'm very concerned now.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Already signed it yesterday. I'd rather WinAmp become open source so a community that has better judgement and cooperation than a dying internet company can actually make it what it should have been a decade ago.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Already signed it yesterday. I'd rather WinAmp become open source so a community that has better judgement and cooperation than a dying internet company can actually make it what it should have been a decade ago.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
With apps like Winamp I've always wondered, is there a point at which development should stop on the application? That perhaps the product is great as is and doesn't need more features so that it can do everything under the sun. Just fix bugs as they pop up and that's it.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
The idea that MS will pick it up is intriguing. Since Windows continues to refuse to have native support for Flac. and other media formats, I wonder what they will do to WinAmp? As it is WMP is useless to me as my entire digital music collection is Flac. format and there are better ways to handle every other media format.
First it will be changed to require security updates that break it. Then it will get features that none of us need. Oh yes a license will be needed by the user and activation with multiple system installation limitations will appear. All much needed improvements I have been waiting for.

brike2001

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
MS would kill all the cool features of Winamp and the result would be only a remembrance of what Winamp actually was. Can can we survive the death of Winamp? I myself use it for everything.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
AOL... Please release the code as open source and don't let Microsoft buy it only to ruin it. This will make the best ever better!!

f-14

Distinguished
HUFFINGTON POST IS NOT A TECH BLOG, LMFAO SOMEBODY IS KISSING ARSE FOR A JOB THERE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

i would not be sad to see mr parrish leave for huffington post, that is exactly where he should have been instead of getting a job at Tom's

f-14

Distinguished
oh also good luck mr parrish with getting a perfectly suitable fit for you job at Huffington, please put in a good word for chris chase as well as you two would make a fabulous team for such a paper.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Microsoft will ruin it like they ruined skype. I never used to have ads on skype 3.8, and now I have a ton of ads (and no you can't remove them, already checked the settings)

rberger

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Actually, I feel that either option (MS or Open source) would have a negative effect on WinAmp. Both options would bring new useless functions to a program that needs no improvement. Publish it, and leave it alone! As Governor Richards once said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I, like many here, have used Winamp since the 90s and still do. Unfortunately new users have no idea it exists. If it goes open source it will live on in obscurity, possibly great but lacking any marketing dollars to drive acceptance. If a major developer acquired Winamp and integrated the "best in class" management features into a currently socially relevant product we may actually see the greatest mass market acceptance of a truly great media manger.

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
merging the two does NOT make sense. have you ever heard of anyone that actively uses winamp that also uses WMP? it doesn't happen, the two are by and large mutually exclusive. people that use windows's default everything will also use WMP to the exclusion of everything else, and would find winamp horribly confusing with too many options. those that care a bit more about music will use either winamp or another player, but won't touch WMP since it restricts the file formats they can use and it's utterly hopeless at just about *everything*. What WOULD make sense (and therefore has no chance of it ever happening) is MS ditching WMP altogether and replace it with winamp adding an option to hide advanced functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.