Window7 freezing on startup (at statup logo)

vishnuchats

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
My desktop is freezing every time at the startup logo when switched on..
it was working perfectly for the past one month.. when i restart the system it asks whether to start normally or start with the system repair.. but even after giving any of the above option the system still gets stuck..
my system configuration is given below. Some body please provide me with a helping hand..

Processor : AMD Phenom x6 1055t
mother board : Asus Asus M4A88T
HDD : 1 TB seagate Barracuda
RAM : 4 Gb kingston + 2 x 4Gb adata = total 12 GB
Graphics card : ATI radeon HD 6970
PSU : Cooler master 650w

can you use f8 and boot into safe mode?? if you can use msconfig and turn off everything in start up..it could be a damaged program..anti virus or video control panel. if you cant use f8 safe mode...try using system recovery and go back one week. you may need the windows install cd to do this. if you cant get into the system (still locks up try bare boning it.) turn it off. unplug the power from the wall. wait a few min clear the cmos..so that it back to factory default. then pull any extra cards..if there onboard video pull the gpu. if with a stock mb and bios the pc boots fine then you may have a hardware issue. start with the gpu put it back in and see if the system hangs. if windows is damaged to badly you may need to run windows installer and have it make a new windows install if you need to save your old data and have it make a windows.bak folder.

vishnuchats

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
i tried replacing rams as well as the graphics card .. but still the problem persists..
i cant open the system in safe mode too.. its also get stuck ..
i tried reinstalling windows too.. but it freezes at the same startup logo..

vishnuchats

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
i tried replacing rams as well as the graphics card .. but still the problem persists..
i cant open the system in safe mode too.. its also get stuck ..
i tried reinstalling windows too.. but it freezes at the same startup logo..

vishnuchats

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
it looks similar to your problem.. but few of my friends told asus mother board usually caused this problem to him.. and the psu he was using was 850w and then he changed the psu to 1000w the system worked well..
all other problems we are facing looks similar.. except he has this 850w psu where mines only 650w..
will changing the psu really gonna help me??
there is no problem with any of my drivers or softwares loaded .. hard formatted the hardisk and tried installing windows from the beginning like that into a new system.. but it still freezes at the startup ..
and the hardisk works well with different system..

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
SOLVED:

this is the first search result for "windows 7 boot logo freeze" so here's what fixed this for my Asrock X99 WSE board. Note you may have a *combination* of the below problems if your bios gets completely reset. all of these things took em hours of rebooting and trying settings to figure out. other symptoms I've had is not even being able to boot from the boot CD (same getting stuck on the logo), yet still being able to boot into safe mode.

a) Make sure you have your SATA controller set to the same mode (RAID, AHCI, etc) that Windows was installed with. If it gets set to AHCI and Windows was installed with it set to RAID, you will get a BSOD or a freeze. Your BIOS may call this "sata compatibility" or something like that, enable it.

b) Make sure all "legacy" settings are in use. With UEFI on the rise some settings may be set with legacy boot / compatibility mode (CSM) disabled. Make sure it's enabled. Chances are that your BIOS has everything set to legacy = enabled already so you can probably move on from this point.

c) I had to disable C6 state in my BIOS under CPU Configuration. Some BIOS may have this labeled as "Use C0/C1/C3" instead of "Use C6". This was a hail-mary pass and it may be due to the PSU not being compatible with it (even though the AX1500i says it is), but this would explain numerous search results saying "i replaced my PSU and it worked". They probably just found PSU that supported C6 and it magically started working again. If you have a laptop this may be called something like "deep sleep" or something like that.

c.1) In case none of the above helps you, try disabling as much stuff in the BIOS as you can. USB3...diasble, serial ports...disable...onboard audio...disable...extra sata controllers (besides the chipset)...disable.

d) It's a very small chance that you actually have a hardware problem. If your BIOS got reset and you developed the boot freeze or a BSOD during the windows pulsing logo, then 99.9% chance it's a BIOS setting issue. Don't go replacing hardware until you've tried all of the above BIOS settings.

Fimbulvintr

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017

This Worked for me! Gigabyte GA-Z270x-UD5 board with an Intel i7-7700K. Had to disable the C6/C7 and C8 functionality. Once I did it went back to working perfectly. =D

HRomeo

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

Thank you very much, this solution works for me very fine. I was desperate until read this. Greets!

richpl832

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
Series of events for boot locking at win logo.

#1 Imaged HD, then replaced HD with Samsung SSD everything worked fine.

Later experienced the clock losing time.....changed CMOS battery....reset boot to previous settings.

Sometime later (weeks-months?) experienced my desktop icons refreshing every 60 seconds or so.

Used a suggested fix of renaming the desktop icon file (users/dick/appdata/local/ IconCache.db) to IconCache.db.backup
The file will regenerate the missing file after next boot and make a clean file.

That's when the boot started freezing at the spinning win icon.

I was lucky in finding that if I press 'Esc' at the boot menu it will go to the drives boot list. then 'enter' on my drive and it works OK.....

If I don't do it that way and leave it boot on it's own, it may return to the same menu, or go to the icon and lock up. Safe mode isn't an option.....

NOTE: If I replace the SSD with the original HD it does the same lockup.

HP 500B
Pent E5700 3.0 GHz
RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 2G x2 total = 4G
Cooler Master RS-600

TRENDING THREADS