[SOLVED] Windowed v-sync vs normal v-sync?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Does traditional windowed mode v-sync have way less input lag than the traditional v-sync? Will you always get windowed mode v-sync no matter what, and what happens when you enable v-sync in windowed mode?
Does windowed v-sync get overridden?

Would it technically be more beneficial to play in windowed mode with v-sync option disabled if you wanted the least input lag and no tearing?

I also noticed that when playing DBZ fighters I would get this micro stutter if I did extended combos on borderless windowed mode, but when I switched to full-screen with v-sync on, I no longer get the micro stutter.

This has lead me to think that fighting games in general on PC have some issue if it's not on exclusive full-screen. If this is true, why does this micro-stutter happen? Does your desktop refresh rate/Windows mismanage resources or something?

Solution
Windows forces V-Sync and triple buffering on all windows, which includes fullscreen borderless windows. This has the benefit of allowing the video card to render as fast as it wants, but it only takes the last rendered frame. Fullscreen with V-Sync is typically double buffered V-sync, which prevents the video card from rendering anything until the frame is presented.

Microstutters may just be an issue with frame pacing since v-sync plus triple buffering doesn't necessarily guarantee smooth pacing.
Windows forces V-Sync and triple buffering on all windows, which includes fullscreen borderless windows. This has the benefit of allowing the video card to render as fast as it wants, but it only takes the last rendered frame. Fullscreen with V-Sync is typically double buffered V-sync, which prevents the video card from rendering anything until the frame is presented.

Microstutters may just be an issue with frame pacing since v-sync plus triple buffering doesn't necessarily guarantee smooth pacing.

Reactions: ShangWang
Solution

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021

Oh, I see.
If windows v-sync is actually triple buffering, then wouldn't you technically get worse input lag on full-screen with v-sync on which you can assume is double buffer?

Oh, I see.
If windows v-sync is actually triple buffering, then wouldn't you technically get worse input lag on full-screen with v-sync on which you can assume is double buffer?
Yes, V-sync with double buffering requires the GPU to stop rendering if the monitor has not hit its V-Blank period, which is when the monitor is "ready" to accept a new frame.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Yes, V-sync with double buffering requires the GPU to stop rendering if the monitor has not hit its V-Blank period, which is when the monitor is "ready" to accept a new frame.
I see, in that case I don't see any performance increase in using borderless whatsoever if it's automatically set to triple buffer v-sync.
I'll just use full-screen with v-sync on from now on.