Windows 10 1803 shared drives do not work, RDP won't connect, other network issues

Rogue Leader

Titan
Moderator
Buckle up this is a long one.

I have 5 systems on my network ALL updated to 1803 - latest patch.

1. File Server (server in sig) - works fine. Can see all networked computers, can see itself. All network commands work. Configured for Remote Desktop.

2. Old Laptop - also works fine. Can see server and networked computers, CANNOT see itself, mapped network drives instantly connect. Didn't try networked commands. (honestly don't care if this one works)

3. New Laptop -works fine as of latest patch. Can see server and networked computers, CANNOT see itself, mapped network drives connect instantly. Didn't try networked commands.

4. Desktop 1 (wifes computer in sig) - works intermittently fine. Can see server and networked computers, CANNOT see itself, mapped network drives connect instantly. Did try network commands (like net view) and they DO work.

5. Desktop 2 (gaming computer in sig) - does not work right at all. Can see server and networked computers, CANNOT see itself, mapped network drives do not connect instantly. Remote Desktop to server does not work. Network commands do not work.

Important to note Desktop 1 and 2 are both newer systems Intel and AMD, both with ASUS motherboards. Both have latest BIOS, and latest network drivers. Server is a Supermicro with Intel Xeon Processor. All have Intel Etnernet controllers. All are on "WORKGROUP"

Desktop 2 is the major problem here. I have tried every single solution such as:

- Services - Setting FDPH and FDRP to Auto, UPnP Device Host to Auto, SSDP to Auto
- Network Reset (multiple times)
- Enable SMBv1, and Disable SMBv1
- All Sharing settings are correct, network is Private, File and Printer Sharing On, Network Discovery is on, Automatic Discovery of network connected devices is on
- Updated network driver, rolled back network driver, etc
- NetBIOS is enabled. Tried disabled, tried default.
- Remote Desktop will not connect to the server, unless I hit ok about 50 times, then suddenly it will work. If I put the server's IP address in instead of its name it connects immediately. (Other devices can connect to remote desktop no problem)
- Can manually map network drives using IP address instead of computer name
- Renamed Desktop 2 on network, did nothing

Desktop 2 sees all network devices and other systems on network. If you double click on server you get "the Network path is not found"

If I go into Administrator Command Prompt "net view /all" gives an error "System Error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found". On other desktop and server this shows other systems on network.

Now here is where it gets strange

If I go into Network & Internet, hit Network Troubleshooter, hit "I'm trying to reach a specific website or folder on the network" then type in \\servername\ it says "troubleshooter couldn't identify this problem", and then instantly the 2 shared drives from the server connect. Remote desktop is still screwed up, network commands still do not work, but the drives connect. This solution worked on Desktop 1 and New Laptop before as well, but is no longer needed on those as since the latest patch both SEEM to be working fine.

So my primary problem is fixing Desktop 2, my secondary problem involves all the other systems not seeing themselves on the network. The Server, since it runs 24/7 seems to be the Master in NetBIOS, if that helps.

Important to note, I had 0 problems under previous Windows 10 release.
 

Supernovae

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
5
0
18,510
0
I have similar issues. Fixed one share issue by resetting the network and disable/enable sharing again. But this did not do the trick on another PC. RDP issue is the most annoying one for me at the moment. Is works for 5 seconds than crashed and I have to reboot the machine I was RDP-ing to.
 

Rogue Leader

Titan
Moderator


I have escalated this to Microsoft via technet. I will post if they provide any sort of useful solution, so far nothing.
 

Rogue Leader

Titan
Moderator
I have found a temporary solution to the issue. The host machine needs to have IPv6 DISABLED. I went into my server and turned off IPv6 and instantly everything started working right.

I have escalated to Microsoft, hopefully they come up with an actual permanent fix.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY