Windows 10 64-bit Reserving 50% of RAM (Ryzen 5)

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Hello, I am using a Ryzen 5 1600 in conjunction with a GTX 1070 Ti Titanium (MSI), 16GB of Patriot Viper Elite 2133mhz RAM, a Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard, and a 750W EVGA Supernova G1 PSU.

Last night was when I installed the new CPU and mobo, having previously used an i5-7400 and MSI B250M Mortar with the same RAM with no issues.

Now, my PC reads "16GB RAM (7.95GB Usable)" in "About Your PC" and resmon shows that half my RAM is "system reserved".

Steps I have already taken: BIOS flash to newest version, reinstall Windows 10, try RAM in different DIMMs, try one stick at a time (both recognized as full 8GB individually)

Solution
I did a google search and it looks like others have had the same issue with that motherboard. http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1099/ab350m-d3h-win10-16gb-usable?page=2 it looks like on page 2 it states one user simply moved the ram around (swaped the ram around) and it went to only reserving 500MB of ram instead of half the ram.

I personaly have an new Ryzen and dont have the issue at all. BUT I have an ASROCK motherboard as I have not had good luck with Gigabyte in the past so I dont use theirs any longer. Had great luck with ASUS and ASROCK boards

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I did a google search and it looks like others have had the same issue with that motherboard. http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1099/ab350m-d3h-win10-16gb-usable?page=2 it looks like on page 2 it states one user simply moved the ram around (swaped the ram around) and it went to only reserving 500MB of ram instead of half the ram.

I personaly have an new Ryzen and dont have the issue at all. BUT I have an ASROCK motherboard as I have not had good luck with Gigabyte in the past so I dont use theirs any longer. Had great luck with ASUS and ASROCK boards

Solution

mras

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Sounds like a bad motherboard bios, and wrong allocating of memory to the IGP.
There should be an option inside bios that allows you to specify how much mem should be reserved for the IGP.
But there is no way it makes sence to reserve that much.
It wont help for sure to reinstall your OS, as this is technical happening before your OS loads - Windows just list how much it can use at this moment.

Best advice: Try to switch around memory blocks, as other suggested, else only real feasable option is to file a bug report at your motherboard vendor, or, get your motherboard replaced with another model.

TRENDING THREADS