Windows 10 and laptop with low battery

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
Is there a reason that Windows 10 is able to tell me when I have low battery (ie 4% and under 10 minutes estimated) but Windows update cannot tell if it's a good time or not?? I can't imagine it is deliberate to force update no matter what, especially on home edition that doesn't have easy update and restart scheduling option.

I regularly let the laptop battery run low since AC power is not always available or convenient. This morning while my laptop was up and running for last minute email check, I used the restroom and Windows 10 decided to start the update. It didn't finish as the laptop simply shut down due to low battery and when I plugged it in at home, I got the normal startup screen and an error message the update failed.

Did someone at a billion-dollar corporation somehow forget to have the updater check with battery status?? ie if it's any kind of mobile device, is not plugged in, and the battery is estimated to have less than 30 minutes remaining, do not frickin' start the update.

You should set Active Hours to time when it's convenient for you, Set network/WiFI to metered so it would ask you when there's an update. There's also setting to delay actual update. Upcoming feature, Pause updates for up to 35 days.