Question windows 10 and max volume

Patrick Gavigan

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013
So ive been trying to get more sound out of my system. Every instance of volume as been maxed out, i also downloaded an edge extention which is supposed to increase the volume by up to 600%, i cranked it to max and can still hardly hear anything. What can i do?

D

Deleted member 362816

More sound out of your system? What do you mean? If you are using speakers they should have their own vol knob if using headphones without a amp they only go so loud with motherboard audio etc. If I am missing something please explain what you are getting at.

using headphones through USB. Ive tried downloading a few equalizers and audio boosters with little to no effect.... it was allready hard to hear, and recently became harder =/
In addition to the above what is it you're listening to and what playback software are you using? Are these youtube videos where you have no control over the sound in your browser? For most non-browser sound the playback software often offers a "Normalizing" function and other options to increase the level.

Patrick Gavigan

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013
using
In addition to the above what is it you're listening to and what playback software are you using? Are these youtube videos where you have no control over the sound in your browser? For most non-browser sound the playback software often offers a "Normalizing" function and other options to increase the level.

the headphones are razer

mostly in youtube yes, but every other program has the same problem

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
Can you specify the exact model of headphones and what OS you're running? It's possible that there's something unique you're missing. Hopefully the headphones themselves don't have a blown out speaker but I'd assume you'd be able to tell.

Cranking up the system volume is a workaround that scares me. All the headphones and earbuds I've ever owned can get loud at 3 or 8. They function very different on a PC than when plugged into a phone. Sometimes I mess around with Windows Volume Mixer to make a game have volume levels lower than 1 but above 0. Do you have any hearing issues? If so, it would be better to have a solution that addresses that instead of cranking the volume up even higher and putting yourself at risk for hearing damage.

Diving into the Settings for Windows 10, I see that there's something called "App volume and device preferences". It's got the "Master volume" setting that I'd control normally but it also has "App Volume" for system sounds and my web browser that's open right now. The Master volume is at 3 and the two App Volume options are at 100.
Settings -> System -> Sound -> Advanced Sound Options (scroll down) -> App volume and device preferences

There's also the "Communications" option in the "Sound Control Panel" (The one you'd get to by going through the Control Panel.) that automatically reduces the volume when it detects an incoming call. I have mine set to reduce the volume to 50% because I don't want to disable this feature but I also don't want it to cause an issue if it happens for some reason. By default it reduces the volume by 80%. Consider setting it to "Do nothing" so that there is no volume reduction if it triggers.

If I was troubleshooting this in-person, one of my tests would be trying to plug these headphones into a different computer to see if they work. Since it uses USB this might be a little harder but I do recommend doing this if you are able to. If it were to work normally and without the need to wildly crank up the volume then that would tell you that it's a system problem. If it were to still have the same issue then it might be something with the headphones.

For testing this on your own computer my immediate choice would be to use the system volume slider. If you click on the blue selection bar and then let go, a system sound will play even if you didn't move it. The arrow keys can also trigger this (but again, only when you let go of the arrow key).

Patrick Gavigan

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013
i think im using razer blackshark v2 headphones? i dont know i dont have the box and ive tried downloading the razer software but it isnt detecting my device. i tried search amazon ebay tigerdirect and newegg for the order but it isnt in any of them. Im using windows 10 pro. I downloaded "audio booster" app for microsoft edge but it isnt doing anything even though its cranked all the way up. All volume settings are maxed out and i cant hear anything -=/

using headphones through USB. Ive tried downloading a few equalizers and audio boosters with little to no effect.... it was allready hard to hear, and recently became harder =/
This is going to sound mean but this to me sounds more like something might be going on with your ears. Audio equipment doesn't get significantly lower in output over time. And I'm leaning on this more when you've tested at least two outputs.

I mean I know someone who twice got an earwax build up so bad they thought they went near deaf in that ear.

Of course you could always test audio equipment on something other than the computer.