Windows 10 Battery Drain problem

Leslie C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Upgraded to w10 last Sunday, after 4 days of issues getting it to work I finally have it. Now I find my battery goes from 100% to 10% in less than 30 minutes. I've tried some suggested fixes from other sites like turning off cortana, but nothing has helped. Does anyone have any suggestions? Windows tech service has no clue and says it is either my battery dying or my processor isn't powerful enough for W10 which sounds like BS to me. Thanks for any help

Solution
Yea that should be fine then. It is modern so there is no way it is the CPUs power settings.

Did you make sure all the drivers were up to date with the latest Windows 10 versions? Intel has the Management Engine which might need to be updated:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25095/Intel-ME-11-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

I would also check the INF driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

You can also try Intels video driver so it knows its proper sleep states but I don't know if it will work or if you need to get the Toshiba version.

Well that is a good question about the specs. If the CPU is older it might have to run at higher frequencies even while idles to run the background processes which would drain the battery faster. Or the CPU does not support the power save states in Windows 10.

I would check the Power settings to make sure it is on either balance or Power Saver.

But just for fun, what are your specs?

alfo72

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Don't have an answer but want to monitor this thread.

Have a 2 Year old Gen 1 Helix that has been ugpraded to W10. The machine is kept up to date but since upgraded I get mad battery drain - since starting to type this dropped from 15% to 12%.

I also got bad mouse lag on both button, pad and external

Leslie C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Thanks for the input. I did make sure the power setting were ok, As far as specs, I'm not too tech savvy, but it's a Toshiba satellite P50-A with core i7-4700MQ @2.40GHz. 6 GB RAM, 64-bit OS

Yea that should be fine then. It is modern so there is no way it is the CPUs power settings.

Did you make sure all the drivers were up to date with the latest Windows 10 versions? Intel has the Management Engine which might need to be updated:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25095/Intel-ME-11-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

I would also check the INF driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

You can also try Intels video driver so it knows its proper sleep states but I don't know if it will work or if you need to get the Toshiba version.

Solution

Leslie C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Leslie C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Leslie C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

I tired downloading the ME files, of course I have no idea what to do with them. :)

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Try using the laptop in tablet mode, you can still use the mouse but Metro apps will be in fullscreen as well as the Start menu. I've heard that tablet mode is supposed to be for computers that arent very powerful like Intel Atom laptops. To enter tablet mode, click on the Action Centre and at the bottom you can click on tablet mode.

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

I didn't actually see that the laptop had an i7. Try turning the battery settings to balanced, high performance will decrease battery life but not that much

Txjeff

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi; November 22, "upgraded" to Win 10 from Win 7. I too noticed, on my Acer i7 Aspire laptop today, on December 2nd, that my battery drains down at least a third faster on Windows 10, doing similar things that I would do on Windows 7. Yes, it has a Battery Save feature that dims the monitor when it gets below 20%, etc, but it's pretty obvious something is draining the battery faster under new OS versus old. I have to believe there is allot more overhead with "App" features versus Win 7, which is mostly a shell. Win 10 has some features that I find "fun" or "appealing", but it is not this big whup upgrade that makes me click my heels with joy.
A second problem is that the battery notification icon will disappear completely and I have to do a "Find New Hardware" in Device Manager to make it reappear. I added a batch file to run Devcon.exe to have it command line run "Find New Hardware". I saw that some folks, in 2012, had this issue and a Bios upgrade resolved their problem.

So I really don't have a solution, but I can see this might become a case of bandaiding Win 10 versus going back to Win 7. I'm seriously considering going back.

raizada_Pavan_22

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

Hey frnd I was also facing the same problem. But now my problem has been shorted out. So try to follow under mention steps:-
1. Press "window plus X" button
2. Now press on device manager
3.Press on "system Device"
4.click on "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface"
5. Now go on power management option.
6. Untick "allow to computer to turn off this device to save the power"
7. Now restart your system and observe it.