Windows 10 Black screen, mouse works but no cursor, keyboard deactivates.

jom_1_

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for years but I finally resort to posting my problem since previous posts have not helped me. So without further ado, here is my problem, what I have done to fix it, and my system specs

Problem: Booting up, after the windows 10 blue flag and the dotted wheel spin, I am presented with a black screen. My mouse still works, I know because the LEDs still operate (no cursor however) but my keyboard turns off. I know because all 3 leds are off and cannot turn back on (Num lock etc) and the LED does not turn back on (Coolermaster devastator keyboard)

I try restarting but it takes me to the windows repair page where I can chose to fix boot issues and boot to safe mode etc.

Safe mode WORKS, kind of. I can boot into safe mode with networking, however I cannot open EDGE, and I cannot do other settings like install updates etc. As soon as it boots up it tells me that the default admin profile cannot run this app, and that I should log in with a different profile.

Might I add, that after the windows 10 installation was completed, I tried installing updates before I restarted the computer because this problem persisted in the old windows 10 update as well. After a while the computer just froze, half way through the installation of the updates, so I was forced to restart it. The disk was completely formatted.

Forgot to mention that the computer also posts normally, no errors presented there

Things I have tried:
Fresh install windows 10
Remove keyboard and or mouse during boot up
Remove and re insert HDMI cable during boot up
Different PSU
Swapping out RAM
Remove motherboard battery to reset CMOS (for about 5 seconds, do I need more time?)
Booted up PC without the battery in place
Reset default settings in BIOS
Ran startup repair

I cannot remember anything else although I will be sure to add it if it is suggested by someone.

My system:
LGA 775 9000 series cpu (cannot recall exact model)
2x4G ddr3 RAM 1333hz
GTX 660
450W PSU (Calculator suggests 400W and I need about 350W clean)
XFX nForce 790i ultra mobo

Thank you for any attempts and answers in advance.

Solution
As a final update, I tried running the rig with my 970 and sure enough, everything worked like a charm. I am replacing my 660 and since I have a lifetime warranty on it from EVGA they are sending me a faster and more power efficient 960 ssc so I am thankful for that. I have seen this issue in numerous forums over the internet, so my suggestion to anyone that has this issue would be to not install any graphics drivers, uninstall the ones that automatically install and try a different GPU

jom_1_

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Finally made some progress. I rolled back to windows 7 to see if it would cause any issues, and sure enough, everything works very well. UNTIL!! I install ANY nvidia driver version! doesnt matter if it was from 2013 or 2016 it still gives me the black screen of death. I have a 760 lying around but it needs an 8 and 6 pin power connection and both of my PSUs have a single 6pin. And I also have an 8 to 6 pin converter adaptor but it is useless unless I go get a molex to 6pin adaptor...

jom_1_

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
As a final update, I tried running the rig with my 970 and sure enough, everything worked like a charm. I am replacing my 660 and since I have a lifetime warranty on it from EVGA they are sending me a faster and more power efficient 960 ssc so I am thankful for that. I have seen this issue in numerous forums over the internet, so my suggestion to anyone that has this issue would be to not install any graphics drivers, uninstall the ones that automatically install and try a different GPU

Solution