[SOLVED] Windows 10 - BlueTooth for Speaker just Stopped

Mezzum

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014
This is a weird one for me. I would consider my technical expertise as excellent. I have had a Amazon Echo as my main computer speaker (Win 10) for a couple years now, connected via Bluetooth. And I can not figure out why I can not connect and play sound via the Echo. When I run a search for the Echo it shows up, but I can not choose it as a playable device even though it shows as "paired". I thought it was the Echo, but I attempted to connect a Google Home device, with the same result. Both pair to the PC, but are not "usable" as speakers for the PC's output. I CAN connect a Xbox Controller via Bluetooth and plug in some ear buds and it works perfectly. Also, a set of Samsung Earbuds also stopped being unable to connect to the PC when before they did. I have tried every way to connect, even reset the PC back a week when it was working, no help. I have MANY Bluetooth devices, all of them seem to work fine, it seems to be limited to Bluetooth speakers. Since I do have many Bluetooth devices, I also have many Bluetooth transceivers, could one of these "go bad" I had never heard of that happening but could that be the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Yes. The transceivers can go bad and performance falters.

Touch before using to get a sense of the temperature. After using (or trying to use) determine if the transceiver has gotten warmer or even hot.

Try a USB extension cable to move the transceiver up and away from the computer. Doing so may help with both transmission/reception and cooling.

Just FYI: USB wireless network adapters can have similar problems.

Bluetooth transceivers are even smaller and likewise being made as cheaply as possible. Eventually they all reach designed EOL (End of life).

Ralston18

Titan

Touch before using to get a sense of the temperature. After using (or trying to use) determine if the transceiver has gotten warmer or even hot.

Try a USB extension cable to move the transceiver up and away from the computer. Doing so may help with both transmission/reception and cooling.

Bluetooth transceivers are even smaller and likewise being made as cheaply as possible. Eventually they all reach designed EOL (End of life).

Solution

Mezzum

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014

Much thanks. Most of my transceivers are pretty old, thanks for the temp check tip. I will post when I get it figured out and/or if I can actually find the issue.