Question Windows 10 Bootloop Query

Jun 4, 2019
Having issues with my system and wondering if its time to bite the bullet and upgrade

At random points when i shut the computer down, the next time i start it up, i get the boot loop at Windows 10 screen with the spinning dots. This can last half a dozen boots or could last upto an hour where it boot loops, after a while it may go into automatic recovery and then eventually it will get me to the log-in screen.

Computer parts are around nine years old but choice upgrades have kept the speed of the machine ok for what i use it for (lightroom, photoshop and internet - first two slow down more with larger files but not to the point where its impacting on my workflow)

Spec is below but if anyone can advise as at the moment, I am keeping the computer in sleep state rather than reboot to avoid this happening almost every time. Tried all the Command Prompt stuff to rebuild the boot using fixboot etc.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz
M/B Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X
RAM 16gb RAM Corsair DDR3 1600MHz XMS3
HD Samsung SSD 860 Evo 500Gb
PSU Antec Tru Power 650W Modular PSU
Graphics ASUS HD 5770 Cu Core 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
OS Windows 10

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try a clean install though your asus website isn't showing any drivers which seems unlikely - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79XTD_EVO/HelpDesk_Download/ - I suspect you would need to install 7 first and then 10 as it doesn't have any win 10 drivers and its possible there aren't any on the installer for chipset.

fresh install would fix the boot problem, the bootrec tools aren't the greatest.

9 years is sure time to think about new PC, the speed differences are big enough to make it worth the cost. That and parts like motherboards themselves can start to fail by then. Have you replaced CMOS battery?

Reactions: antdevil

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
You could try a clean install though your asus website isn't showing any drivers which seems unlikely - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79XTD_EVO/HelpDesk_Download/ - I suspect you would need to install 7 first and then 10 as it doesn't have any win 10 drivers and its possible there aren't any on the installer for chipset.

fresh install would fix the boot problem, the bootrec tools aren't the greatest.

9 years is sure time to think about new PC, the speed differences are big enough to make it worth the cost. That and parts like motherboards themselves can start to fail by then. Have you replaced CMOS battery?

Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 isn't necessary. Most likely that reinstalling windows 10 will fix the problem.

Reactions: antdevil