[SOLVED] Windows 10 Bootrec /rebuildbcd and /ScanOS say 0 Windows Installations detected.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
IMG-20201111-155401-01-01-01.jpg

Don't worry about the camera noise.
I had multiple Linux distro installed beside windows 10 and after deleting their partitions and deleting those folders from the EFI fat32 System partition I ran those commands as seen above.
Its perhaps also important that grub was installed and removed as above described.

Issue is that, for both ScanOS and rebuildbcd it says
Search for Windows Installations was successful,
Total identifiable Windows Installations: 0
The process was successful. (translated)

As side-context: I can boot into Windows 10 properly (perhaps slow) but when I do stuff with Linux or older Windows bootable drives I get an boot error for "/Boot/Bcd". There's definitely an issue with bcd, regardless whether I can boot.

This is what my...
...Disks
IMG-20201111-160547.jpg

... Partition :
IMG-20201111-160632.jpg

... Volume:
IMG-20201111-160646.jpg

(Ignore the Win7 partition, nothing on it)
("Fehlerfrei" means healthy/no issues, "Versteckt" at the end means hidden)

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Well damn, I have been hit with karma (even though I did not do anything wrong?) and I now have the exact same problem as you. That is also why I could not reply so far.

I guess your problem passes over what I have in my arsenal. Sorry about that, I got out of options. You may actually consider a nuke-it approach.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Well damn, I have been hit with karma (even though I did not do anything wrong?) and I now have the exact same problem as you. That is also why I could not reply so far.

I guess your problem passes over what I have in my arsenal. Sorry about that, I got out of options. You may actually consider a nuke-it approach.
damn this issue is contagious. Well I ended up formating the Efi partition and rebuild it. Then used 1703 windows 10 to fix mbr boot rebuildbcd etc..

Dec 12, 2021
That's a common problem with removing multiboots. Windows likes to nag a lot when it is pushed to the second line at boot order. We'll rebuild the boot configuration data manually.

First step, mounting the EFI partition. I deduce that that's Volume 2 for you, a 100-200 MB FAT32 hidden partition tagged "SYSTEM". In diskpart issue these commands (confirm volume number again first):
select vol 2 assign letter V:

Now that we have mounted it on V: we can work on it. Exit diskpart, navigate to the volume (cd /d v:) and type dir. You want to see any of those folders:
EFI
Boot
ESD

The first is most likely. Navigate further into it (EFI\Microsoft\Boot) and when you dir again you should see the BCD file, that's your problem over there. Change its attributes so you can rename it with attrib BCD -s -h -r and rename it to something else as a backup with ren BCD BCD.bak and you can rebuild the BCD now. In case anything happens you can always rename the .bak one back to normal.

Now, we're at the big command. Issue bcdboot C:\Windows /l de-DE /s v: /f ALL (replace C:\Windows with your OS drive that has the Windows folder, de-DE to en-US if your installation is in English, ALL to UEFI if you have an UEFI installation.

Reboot, and it should go straight into Windows.

(Edit: It's not a K, it's a V. My bad.)

Wow, this helped me two years after you posted. I cloned a failing SHDD to an SSD and it won't boot no matter what I tried. With your instruction I booted straight to Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.