[SOLVED] Windows 10 build 1903 is the oldest version of windows supported on all my devices. Why is this?

Apr 9, 2022
I have multiple computers and laptops. One from 2020, one from 2019, and one from 2018. All these devices come with windows 10 installed. I hate windows 10. I've tried going to windows 8.1 or 7, but they wouldn't work on any of the devices. reasonable because those are old operating systems. So, I said to myself "Since I can't go anywhere older than 10, what's the oldest version of 10 we can install? After installing over 15 builds of windows, I found the answer. Windows 10 version 1903. Anything older than 1903 would not work due to missing drivers. I find it kind of strange how that specific build is the oldest working one, even on my older devices. Can someone tell me, Why is 1903 the oldest one that can be downgraded to? All my devices are from different brands, different years, and have entirely different parts.

Solution
Microsoft only support 3 versions of windows 10 at any time, so that is
21H2
21H1
20H2 or 2009, which ever you want to call it.

1903 is way out of support, and as stated above MS have no control over Drivers. Thats on the hardware makers.
Or do you mean updates?
I know one version of windows changed how Windows update functions, but I can't tell if it was 1903.
1903 allowed you to pause updates so maybe thats it.

Why do you hate windows 10? Whats wrong? I am not sticking up for it, just curious as if its interface or something you can use shells.
I have multiple computers and laptops. One from 2020, one from 2019, and one from 2018. All these devices come with windows 10 installed. I hate windows 10. I've tried going to windows 8.1 or 7, but they wouldn't work on any of the devices. reasonable because those are old operating systems. So, I said to myself "Since I can't go anywhere older than 10, what's the oldest version of 10 we can install? After installing over 15 builds of windows, I found the answer. Windows 10 version 1903. Anything older than 1903 would not work due to missing drivers. I find it kind of strange how that specific build is the oldest working one, even on my older devices. Can someone tell me, Why is 1903 the oldest one that can be downgraded to? All my devices are from different brands, different years, and have entirely different parts.
It depends on what you mean by "missing drivers". The windows installer program does not have a driver for every device ever manufactured. This applies to all versions of windows, even 7. Generally what you do when you install windows is after installation is complete and you've run updates as much as possible, you open up the device manager and check to see if there are any unsupported devices. Even on current generation hardware there are usually some devices that need drivers, usually starting with the Intel Chipset driver and the Serial IO driver packages. Some of Intel's newer lan chipsets, etc. also may need drivers since they're so new. So you should always expect to need to locate, download and add drivers, usually obtaining them from the motherboard manufacturer's website. So if you want to go back to Windows 7 go ahead. (I'm sure others will warn you about the security danger of using that). Just be prepared to obtain any of the missing drivers that you need. Let the Device Manager be your guide, that's what its there for.

Colif

Win 11 Master
21H2
21H1

1903 is way out of support, and as stated above MS have no control over Drivers. Thats on the hardware makers.
Or do you mean updates?
I know one version of windows changed how Windows update functions, but I can't tell if it was 1903.

Why do you hate windows 10? Whats wrong? I am not sticking up for it, just curious as if its interface or something you can use shells.

Solution
Apr 9, 2022
21H2
21H1

Or do you mean updates?

I dislike windows 10 because it comes with a ton of apps that no one needs after installation just so you can manually uninstall them. I also dislike the layout. I wish to go to 8.1, but thats impossible, so i guess i can just suffer on windows 10 for now.

TRENDING THREADS