Question Windows 10 cannot access local windows 10 shares on wifi only

Aug 7, 2020
Hello,

I have a small office, i have 3 win 7 desktops connected via ethernet, recently i purchased 2 laptops (both have intel wifi cards) that came within windows10 pro.

The problem is that,
1. when i connect both the laptops with WiFi they can see the 3 windows 7 desktops and access them, but the windows 7 desktops cannot acces the laptops.

2. The other problem is that the 2 windows 10 laptops cannot ping each other or see each other's network shares when connected with wifi, but every thing works well if i connect both the laptops with Ethernet. (This problem is not present in my old windows 7 laptop) there is no antivirus or firewall software installed.

I have tried enabling smb 1, set the required services to automatic, reinstalled wifi drivers, tried netcfg -d, disabled firewall, disabled windows defender, set the location to private, even tried manual ip assignment and set sharing settings in the network and sharing center.

Both the laptops have automatic updates turned on and update frequently.

The only thing that worked is conneting both the laptops with ethernet, this problem does not exist in my old windows 7 laptop it can ping and access my other 3 windows 7 desktops and vice versa.

Several possible reasons:
  • Your router segregates Ethernet and WiFi networks;
  • On the laptops, WiFi adapters are considere to be on "Public" network, and the firewall blocks access.

First case is probably not an issue, since you can access wired computers over WiFi, so you have to check how WiFi adapters are configured on the laptops. I'd suggest disconnecting from WiFi, deleting WiFi credentials, re-introducing your laptops to the WiFi, and carefully wait for Windows notification asking what kind of network you're connecting to.

Aug 7, 2020
Thank you for the replies, but as suggested i did everything and still nothing worked, what worked was that i installed awindows 10 editiom from 2017, so the only solution for this problem is to install any version of wimdows 10 that have been released before november 2019 as there is a bug in them that causes this problem.

I am considering to shiftall my computers to ubuntu afterthe massive headache that windows 10 is.