Question "Windows 10 cannot be installed on this hard disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk"on Gigabyte H110m-A motherboard

GvnFot

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
SSD used: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

All the steps I have tried:
-Disabling CSM--> It allows Windows to be installed to the SSD through the Media Creation tool, but only the Flash drive used to install Windows can be detected in boot menu. Removing flash drive simply puts me into BIOS.

-Ensured the the SATA Mode was in AHCI mode.---> Same error occured

-Clicked next despite error message---> Installed but Windows wouldn't boot and I was presented with an error screen.

-Used diskpart to convert to MBR--->Didn't work.

-Used diskpart to convert to GPT---> Didn't work.

-Updated BIOS to F24---> Didn't work.

-Used Rufus---> Didn't work.

-Tried a Fresh HDD install onto the SSD through cmd---> Didn't work.

-Enabled CSM- Led to the same issue.

-Tried the Samsung Data Migration---> Said there was an error. Tried all trouble shooting steps and still didn't work.

-Removed all Sata devices except SSD.---> Still wouldn't install.

-With CSM enabled, tried both UEFI and Legacy boot modes.---> Did not work.

-Partitioned unallocated space--->Didn't work

If I try to click next on the Windows installer now, it now says that it is unable to create the partitions.
I've tried many guides and the result is always the same, it does not work.

I can also view the SSD when I am booted from HDD.

Just purchased the SSD a day ago.

Aug 7, 2019
Try booting the usb in non-uefi mode. Select USB instead of UEFI USB at boot menu.

Also make sure your drive matches the configuration your install disk has (if mbr use mbr, if gpt use gpt)

Aug 7, 2019
You could also try deleting the volumes and partitions on the 'select hard drive' screen during the install, no need to create a new partition, just let the installer do that.

Also, have you tried to install to a different hard disk?

GvnFot

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
You could also try deleting the volumes and partitions on the 'select hard drive' screen during the install, no need to create a new partition, just let the installer do that.

Also, have you tried to install to a different hard disk?
Yes, it is installed to my old hard drive. I formatted my hard drive, and reinstalled with the installer and it worked fine. I also tried deleting all volumes and partitions in the select hard drive screen, but sadly it came up with the same error.

GvnFot

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
  1. Disconnect all drives, leave only SSD connected.
  2. Clean SSD before installing windows on it. Use diskpart, to do that (existing partition configuration might be preventing windows installation).
  3. Install windows.
I have tried this. This was one of the first fixes I tried, and after doing this it led to the "cannot create a partition error" when trying to ignore the initial "windows cannot install onto this drive" warning.

GvnFot

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Try booting the usb in non-uefi mode. Select USB instead of UEFI USB at boot menu.

Also make sure your drive matches the configuration your install disk has (if mbr use mbr, if gpt use gpt)
There is a USB called Sandisk, and then "UEFI: Partition 1 Sandisk"(both lead to installer) and those don't work. I have tried both MBR and GPT but both do not work.

Aug 7, 2019
Sounds like a bios error. Try restoring to defaults and use a different sata port.
Try different USB ports, too.

I would also check to see if your ssd works, you may have gotten a defective one. Try copying files, and check the drive with CHKDSK

Last edited: