Question Windows 10 cannot boot after registry file deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehtisham11

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
hello

My Samsung 1TB portable harddisk was not being detected soI was searching online for a solution. And without thinking much i followed this guide which asked me to delete the upper and lower filters of the 4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 registry.
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
If you see any upperfilter or lowerfilters at the right side, delete them."
now my PC can't boot and after accessing the command prompt I found that the deleted filters are back in the registry. Is there no way to edit the registry to get my PC running again? Help

DISM scan failed showing up and gives error 50 ,also SCANNOW command fails.

I have checked for restore points and there's none, system reset is not also possible as it shows not enough space.

I am ok with System reset , but how to open up space now??

any solutions to this situation?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The above error is occurred, because in WinRE the operating system is not running, so the /Online switch is useless at this case. In fact the /Online switch in DISM tool, specifies that the action is to be taken on the operating system that is currently running.

See if the fix here works: https://www.repairwin.com/fix-dism-...-servicing-windows-pe-with-the-online-option/

reset might not work either, depends what that registry key does.

Do you have a win 10 installer? Just a handy boot drive if nothing else
if not, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

How to make space:

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

I know just enough about the registry to know to always a backup, because I did exactly what you did (you messed up your hard disk perimeters). My guess is the filters are back, but the correct data has not been entered. I have a simple system with one 500g SSD. the "Type" for my LowerFilter is "REG_MULTI_SZ" and the data is "EhStorClass". The UpperFilter type is also "REG_MULTI_SZ" and the data is "partmgr EPMVolfi". This is what it looks like. edit: you may only need to enter "partmgr", but you can obviously try it either way.
reg.jpg

If you are lucky you may see, LowerFilter.bak and UpperFilter.bak. If so, you need to rename them, removing the ".bak" and they should function. I don't know if the filters are common or very specific, but hopefully they will get your windows to boot.

Last edited:
without thinking much i followed this guide which asked me to delete the upper and lower filters of the 4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 registry.
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
If you see any upperfilter or lowerfilters at the right side, delete them."
now my PC can't boot and after accessing the command prompt I found that the deleted filters are back in the registry. Is there no way to edit the registry to get my PC running again? Help
Boot from windows installation media,
go into command prompt,
run regedit,
Left click on HKLM (left side of Registry Editor) and load System hive, located in C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM
manually add deleted entries:
LowerFilters EhStorClass​
UpperFilters partmgr​
Unload the hive.

Last edited:

ehtisham11

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
before I try the above two solutions, I have a question.

I removed the hard disk from the laptop and now I am accessing it as external HDD, I thought i would delete something to open up space.
is there any change which i can do to lets say registry or replace some file in the HDD before i put it back in the laptop

ehtisham11

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Boot from windows installation media,
go into command prompt,
run regedit,
Left click on HKLM (left side of Registry Editor) and load System hive, located in C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM
UpperFilters partmgr​
Unload the hive.
i am sorry i dont understand how to do this? how to enter registry editor

ehtisham11

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I know just enough about the registry to know to always a backup, because I did exactly what you did (you messed up your hard disk perimeters). My guess is the filters are back, but the correct data has not been entered. I have a simple system with one 500g SSD. the "Type" for my LowerFilter is "REG_MULTI_SZ" and the data is "EhStorClass". The UpperFilter type is also "REG_MULTI_SZ" and the data is "partmgr EPMVolfi". This is what it looks like. edit: you may only need to enter "partmgr", but you can obviously try it either way.
reg.jpg

If you are lucky you may see, LowerFilter.bak and UpperFilter.bak. If so, you need to rename them, removing the ".bak" and they should function. I don't know if the filters are common or very specific, but hopefully they will get your windows to boot.

where do i see this?/

You boot from windows installation media and open Command Prompt window.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-command-prompt-boot-windows-10-a.html

You said, you connected the drive to another computer. Then you can do the same thing without windows installation media.
run regedit,
Left click on HKLM (left side of Registry Editor) and load System hive, located in F:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM (assuming F: is the drive letter of windows partition from connected drive)
UpperFilters partmgr​
Unload the hive.

You said "after accessing the command prompt I found that the deleted filters are back in the registry," I assume you were using "regedit" from the command prompt. If you can see the deleted filters are back in the registry, you can edit them. Regardless, if you type regedit at the command prompt, the registry editor, will open up. It is the same editor you used to edit the registry when you deleted the filters. Netskyring was repeating the same instructions I gave before his post, with some the additional information on how to access the command prompt. If you are having trouble getting back to the command prompt, you can use a Windows install media to boot up your computer, and instead of choosing install, choose repair.

"I removed the hard disk from the laptop and now I am accessing it as external HDD" Does this mean you have attached your hard drive to another computer? Please explain exactly what this means and what you did to make this happen.

Last edited:
FIRST rule of RegEdit - Unless you know enough about it that you can teach it to someone else, keep your hands off.

You may well have fouled things to the point that your only option is to backup any accessible files, delete/recreate and format all partitions on the drive, then restore the backed up files. Then, never touch RegEdit again until you have attained sufficient knowledge in its use that this situation doesn't recur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS