Question Windows 10 can't be installed on new build ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Why is Drive 1 connected in the system, when you want to install it to Drive 2?
This can create hidden dependency on Drive 1 during installation as bootloader might get installed on Drive 1.

You should only connect the intended drive and disconnect all other HDDs/SSDs from the system. You can reconnect them later after installation is done.

Jun 30, 2024
Why is Drive 1 connected in the system, when you want to install it to Drive 2?
This can create hidden dependency on Drive 1 during installation as bootloader might get installed on Drive 1.

You should only connect the intended drive and disconnect all other HDDs/SSDs from the system. You can reconnect them later after installation is done.
i did that before bro, disk 0 is an 2.5 ssd ehich had windows already installed on it from my old pc, i just created another gpt partition usb from rufus, thats why the disk is still in but i can deactivate that and nothing will happen even installing after that, as i said m2 only dcs on it boots into m2 but no os found, only m2 dcs off it only shows m2 on bios nvme slots and no disk at bootable devices

Windows not installing correctly no matter what, tried installing with CSM off which didnt recognize the ssd or usb and sent me to bios, with CSM it recognized both ssd snd usb, finalized the setup (via usb part) the moment it restarts and it should take me to the hello screen of windoes, instead is says that no boot loading disk, i have set the priority to my Sssd from bios and thats thr only one so it cant be messed, i tried reinstalling same problem. Working for this for days any solution or help please

disconnect any drives that are not the primary drive your trying to install windows 10 too

boot priority 1 for usb with windows 10 installer
boot priority 2 for the nvme or drive your trying to install windows 10 on.

save in bios then it should boot the usb and give you the nvme or sata as a option

Jun 30, 2024
disconnect any drives that are not the primary drive your trying to install windows 10 too

boot priority 1 for usb with windows 10 installer
boot priority 2 for the nvme or drive your trying to install windows 10 on.

save in bios then it should boot the usb and give you the nvme or sata as a option
okay, should i set dcs enable uefi only and secure boot disabled?

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
All modern boards are UEFI by default. The CSM only enables Legacy mode in addition to UEFI. Enabling CSM does not disable UEFI, it only supports booting from media that is MBR capable.

As long as your USB key is created for UEFI GPT, your Windows installation will always boot in UEFI mode. Windows 10/11 fully supports Secure Boot. It does not matter if it's On or Off

Jun 30, 2024
All modern boards are UEFI by default. The CSM only enables Legacy mode in addition to UEFI. Enabling CSM does not disable UEFI, it only supports booting from media that is MBR capable.

As long as your USB key is created for UEFI GPT, your Windows installation will always boot in UEFI mode. Windows 10/11 fully supports Secure Boot. It does not matter if it's On or Off
View: https://imgur.com/a/caLGTND

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZprBUgG

if i chose gpt there is only uefi non csm
if i chise mbr its bios(uefi-csm)

dont use rufus

dont use a iso it will not work.

format your usb to fat 32

must be 8gb or 16gb

use windows media tool

in the link i sent

once downloaded

open media tool

accept the liscence agreement.

> choose create media usb flash/dvd/iso

> click next

> untick box for use the recomended options for this pc

> click next

> choose usb flash

>click next

>choose usb and click next again and wait for it to install windows on the usb.

Jun 30, 2024
dont use rufus

must be 8gb or 16gb

use windows media tool

in the link i sent

once downloaded

open media tool

> click next

> click next

> choose usb flash

>click next

ok will do that now

Jun 30, 2024
dont use rufus

must be 8gb or 16gb

use windows media tool

in the link i sent

once downloaded

open media tool

> click next

> click next

> choose usb flash

>click next

View: https://imgur.com/a/IbXnC97
are these the correct bios settings, and should do diskpart clean and convert gpt, to make sure its gpt or nah?

If you install windows onto 500GB drive with 250GB drive still connected,
then new drive does not get made bootable.
There is already bootloader on 250GB drive.
Windows installer will not make second bootloader, since it is not necessary.
You can not boot from 500GB drive after windows install is done.
Change boot priority to 250GB drive and you'll get boot menu with option to choose, which windows to boot.

select-windows-os-at-boot.png

To install windows onto 500GB drive and have it made bootable,
250GB drive has to be physically disconnected during install.

Jun 30, 2024
If you install windows onto 500GB drive with 250GB drive still connected,
then new drive does not get made bootable.
There is already bootloader on 250GB drive.
Windows installer will not make second bootloader, since it is not necessary.
You can not boot from 500GB drive after windows install is done.
Change boot priority to 250GB drive and you'll get boot menu with option to choose, which windows to boot.

select-windows-os-at-boot.png

To install windows onto 500GB drive and have it made bootable,
250GB drive has to be physically disconnected during install.
Look, i removed that 250gb one, only my 500gb is on, ininstalled from media creatin then went and setup, again bootloader is not recognised, tried to convert gpt same problem tried to convert to mbr same problem

Jun 30, 2024
Look, i removed that 250gb one, only my 500gb is on, ininstalled from media creatin then went and setup, again bootloader is not recognised, tried to convert gpt same problem tried to convert to mbr same problem
Last statememt:
Windows refused to install of my new pc build.
I tried an old sata with windows already on it and it worked. Now the sata is removed and tried many ways to resolve this for example:
MediaCreation Tool
Rufus
3 Different USBs
Convert m2 to GPT
Convert m2 to MBR
Enabled CSM(Uefi Only)
Enabled CSM(Legacy)
CSM Uefi + Secure boot on/off
CSM Legacy + Secure boot on/off
Diskpart methot
Bootrec method

Weird thing is
1) when CSM is enabled(Uefi only / Legacy) My M2 shows at NVME slot and at Bootable Device but doesnt find windows boot
2)when CSM is disabled NVMR shows at NVME slot but then dissapears as a bootsble device, so starting the pc sends me straight to BIOS

Now if i may ask, can this possibly be a hardware problem of my motherboard or my M2 even though I doubt the motherboard is bad since the old sata with windows already installed on it works.
But I will try to return these two ASAP if im not able to find a solution

Jun 30, 2024
Windows refused to install of my new pc build.
I tried an old sata with windows already on it and it worked. Now the sata is removed and tried many ways to resolve this for example:
MediaCreation Tool
Rufus
3 Different USBs
Convert m2 to GPT
Convert m2 to MBR
Enabled CSM(Uefi Only)
Enabled CSM(Legacy)
CSM Uefi + Secure boot on/off
CSM Legacy + Secure boot on/off
Diskpart methot
Bootrec method

Weird thing is
1) when CSM is enabled(Uefi only / Legacy) My M2 shows at NVME slot and at Bootable Device but doesnt find windows boot
2)when CSM is disabled NVMR shows at NVME slot but then dissapears as a bootsble device, so starting the pc sends me straight to BIOS

Now if i may ask, can this possibly be a hardware problem of my motherboard or my M2 even though I doubt the motherboard is bad since the old sata with windows already installed on it works.
But I will try to return these two ASAP if im not able to find a solutin

PC specs;
Amd Ryzen5 5600x
Gigabyte DS3H Ac with the latest bios update FD
Kingston Fury 2x8GB 3200 DDR4
Crucial P3 500GB nvme m2
Msi mag a650bn