Windows 10 can't shutdown without specific steps

Oct 5, 2018
I have MSI GE60 2 Pc Apache, UEFI supported BIOS.

History of my system:
Dual boot (Win 8.1 and Debian): About 1 year (Worked properly)
Debian: About 1 year (Worked properly)
Windows 8.1: About 3 months (Worked properly)
Dual boot again: Couldn't shutdown in Windows (During 2-3 days worked properly)
Windows 10 (Single): Can't shutdown

As you see above, after I tried to install again dual boot system, I have had a shutdown problem. When I click "Shut down" in Windows, the screen gets black but the PC doesn't turn off. In Debian, there is no problem, the PC can shutdown properly.

By the way, when I use "Advance Startup Options" and I choose "Turn off" there, the PC can turn off properly.

NOTE: This problem occurs often(4/5), it doesn't always.

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
You can try shutting down using cmd, open up cmd. Now type the following: shutdown -s -t 0, if it does shutdown, create a new notepad file & paste the command in there. Save it as name.cmd OR name.bat (replace name with whatever you want)

Oct 5, 2018

I have tried it before, but I tried it again now. Here is the output:

XML:
Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Oct 5, 2018

I have tried it, too. It's not the solution. "-f" parameter can not affect this situation.

Hello again

In that case, please try Disabling Fast Startup and see if it works.

Cheers!! :)

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Where did you get the Windows install from? If you got it from anything else then Microsoft, that could be the issue. I can send you the link if you want. Also, you can check for updates, updates always patch things, so maybe also this?

Oct 5, 2018

Hello, thank you.

Fast startup is already disable in BIOS and Windows power configuration. I had Intel Management Interface v11 so I downgraded it to version 9 (fromn manufacturer driver DVD), the problem still occurs.

Oct 5, 2018

Windows 8.1 is from Dreamspark(Microsoft Student) and Windows 10 is from edu.tr network in Turkey. The problem can be observed on both of them.

Oct 5, 2018

Actually, the problem may be related to it.

For Windows 8.1:
I graduated and my license may be terminated for Dreamspark.

For Windows 10:
To verify Windows 10, I need an edu network, I verified it but maybe there is a process to check the network for update in shutdown process? Maybe it can't verify the network and the update process is always trying to connect so PC can't shutdown.

What u think?

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016

It can be the problem, but I don't think it is. You can try the official microsoft windows iso's:
Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
Windows 8.1: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows8ISO

If you have any problems just let me know!

Oct 5, 2018

Actually, I have installed the same ISO on the other PC, it works well. So, I think the problem is not about the ISO.

Oct 5, 2018

I have tried it, it couldn't solve the problem. I plan to upgrade the BIOS after my projects are completed.

The problem event is consistent with the settings/system/power option/change what the power button does/turn off the monitor.But in this case you say you are using the desktop feature and not the power button. But it appears possible the result is the same. BTW what is the power button setting ?

Oct 5, 2018

It couldn't solve the problem, I tried it before. I think it is related to a driver, but I can't diagnose it. I have read event logs, tried to disable some services etc. Also when there is a black screen, only CPU works a lot, the other hardware, like GPU and HDD/SSD, seem in IDLE mode according to LEDs.

Oct 5, 2018
I updated my BIOS and Firmware using installations which I downloaded from MSI Driver Download Center. After I updated, I forgot disabling secure boot and it removed GRUB; however Windows 8.1 can shutdown properly now.