Windows 10 / Command Prompt / Start up

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
When I start my computer up, I am able to log in but the GUI doesn't load. Instead CMD comes up and states that "0" is not a recognised internal or external command.

That being said, I needed command prompt to do something some time ago but Windows 10 wasn't letting me access it. So I went into the REGEDIT>current user>software>microsoft>command processor and I changed the AutoRun to "0"

I figure that is why windows isn't loading my user profile after I sign into my Microsoft account.

Help plz

Solution
The problem is the whole autorun entry in there, it seemingly runs that each time command prompt is opened (which is why the video had the error "0" not recognized command after the video creator opened it)
I can verify that I don't have said autorun entry in said place at all. (don't go deleting things though if you are not SURE you know what you are doing)

Things not mentioned yet:
If windows fails after login, you can try CTRL-SHIFT-ESC combo to open task manager which allows you to run explorer for GUI or regedit to change things back.
you should get the option for task manager with CTRL-ALT-DEL too though.

Edit: running .reg files from command prompt should also be possible, possible creating them is lot more tricky though if...

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
check if its a Temporary user Issue, but run Anti virus and Check Hard disk and those stuff just to be safe.

and not sure what you did in REGEDIT looks like you disabled CMD. but again if you dont know REGEDIT dont use it if you are not 100% sure you know what you are doing you can brick your computer with 1 wrong code (yes one wrong code one wrong 0 or 1 in regedit can and will brick your computer) . Worst case scenario is new windows reinstall

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014

Sorry About the downvote I clicked it by mistake.
I cannot get into windows to change the REGEDIT VALUES because CMD doesn't let my User profile load.
It just keeps saying "0" Is not a recognised command and doesn't load anything else.
Is there a way to do this CMD?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know enough about registry to not want to edit any of it. As previous said, make mistakes in there and without a backup, you sort of stuck.

Obviously gui needs cmd to run some commands to load. Why did you set autoruns to 0?? did you try safe mode and see if cmd works there? or boot off a Win 10 installer and use repair tools?

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014

So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Bf_WAjQgU This was the video I was following.
I needed CMD to install Python VirtualEnv but CMD wasn't coming up.
The video I linked worked but on a restart, PC isn't booting up. It lets me log into my profile but doesn't load any GUI options. No desktop, Start menu nothing. The only thing that comes up on the black screen is CMD with the "0" is not a recognised command. Is there a way to edit registry keys through CMD. Cause I know the path to get back to the autorun file. I can put it back to what it was.

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014

I was following this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Bf_WAjQgU
I needed CMD to install Python and use PIP to install but Powershell was blocking me from using CMD. So I followed the video and it worked but on restart. The GUI didn't load.

Colif

Win 11 Master
on login screen, in bottom right, click the power button
while holding shift, click restart PC
this loads you into advanced startup

You could try running system restore and roll settings back to before you set autoruns to 0
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
shoose system restore
choose a date and PC will restart and roll back registry to that date

or you can try safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

edit regedit from here and apply any registry backups you created before changing it.

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014

I don't know how to use Registry Edit through command prompt.
Is there somewhere I can learn.
I am not too worried about this situation, to be honest.
I play up in my PC all the time. This is one of the few times I am truly stuck.
I cannot send screenshots because I'm using another PC. Like i said. No GUI is loading on that PC.

USAFRet

Titan
You do realize that whatever you needed the original command prompt window to do regarding Python...you could have done it directly in powershell.

Instead of using powershell to hose up the reg to do <whatever> in CMD....just use PS.

And that video makes a HUGE error at about 1:20.
Instead of navigating down the hive to whatever key you needed to modify, the first step should have been a full export of the Registry.

It actually shows, how to break command prompt.

Or use system restore to revert your changes.

What happens, if you write regedit in command prompt?

BTW - you can take a screenshot with your phone too.

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014

I did both of these before. Not working. Even in safe mode, it brings up the same thing. CMD window after logging in and nothing after.

The problem is the whole autorun entry in there, it seemingly runs that each time command prompt is opened (which is why the video had the error "0" not recognized command after the video creator opened it)
I can verify that I don't have said autorun entry in said place at all. (don't go deleting things though if you are not SURE you know what you are doing)

Things not mentioned yet:
If windows fails after login, you can try CTRL-SHIFT-ESC combo to open task manager which allows you to run explorer for GUI or regedit to change things back.
you should get the option for task manager with CTRL-ALT-DEL too though.

Edit: running .reg files from command prompt should also be possible, possible creating them is lot more tricky though if normal means like "notepad restore.reg" doesn't give you notepad to type with.

it is however possible, just EXTREMELY prone to errors due to typo's
echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00>restore.reg
echo [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]>>restore.reg
echo "autorun"="whatever was in here originally, hope you don't make typos">>restore.reg

now you should have restore.reg file that should contain fixed entry for the autorun, provided you didn't make any typos.
note that after first >restore.reg, it's >> since we want to ADD lines not replace whole file
note also that both registry key and its value are inside "quotes"

If you want to delete the value (you wanted to fix it but... who knows?) following should do that
echo "autorun"=-

Solution

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014

Yes well I am doing my reading now which I should have done before but I was being lazy. I now understand that i should have full exported before making changes so I'd have a backup.

With regards to Python,
I tired through PS and it wasn't working. Some commands were different and I was being lazy and decided to take the easy way out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try booting off an installer and running system restore as it should work since its running off USB, not your install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore

BigBossMan883

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014

I forgot I can run commands through Task manager.
Thanks to this I was able to bring up Task manager run the command for explorer and then get access back to the REGEDIT.

I changed the default Value of AutoRun to explorer so windows will boot the GUI right away which from the reading I did was the original values of Autorun (Hopefully)
Restarted and it works. I still get the annoyance of the CMD window popping up on start up but it's just to close since the GUI is already loaded.