Windows 10 completely broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reece OBrien

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Hi guys,

Basically I went out today and when I came home I booted up my PC and it took ages for windows to get going once at the desktop, it was running so slow. The start button and task bar weren't running properly and my wifi connection started saying it wasn't connected to anything. I eventually managed to get task manager open (the computer was running so slow) and it said my disk drive usage was at 100%. I kept trying to figure out what was going on and then found a fix on google to switch off a notifications setting. I then clicked restart and it was stuck at the restart screen for half an hour at which point the only way I could turn it off was to hold the power button. I then restarted and I got the blue 'Windows could not start, checking for error codes :(' screen. It then restarted and gave me the menu to troubleshoot. I tried to reset windows but after the black 'reset screen' finishes it restarts the PC and continues a never ending loop of going to the blue screen again.

Basically this is my only accessible PC so I can't make a new boot USB with 7 on it or anything like that and so essentially my PC is a brick at the moment as it fails to complete the OS reset. This is very annoying also because my Activation Key for Win10 is on a notepad file on this HDD.

Is it possible my HDD is caput? (It's less than a year old, maybe 7 months?)

Specs;

i5-4690K
Asus X97-P
1TB HDD
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3
R7 250 2GB GDDR5
Corsair CX500W PSU
NZXT 410 Phantom Case
TP-Link PCI Wifi

Sorry for long winded explaination but I thought it best to be thorough.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It sounds like your system was updating and then you shut it off, causing corruptions. It certainly can be HDD failure though, so the first thing to do is to go to a friend's house and make a recovery media disk for Windows 10 (using the Media Creation Tool).

You can't really do anything until you have the "disk", but once you do you need to try accessing safe mode and running sfc /scannow to check for corruption. If safemode doesn't start, you'll need to test using the repair install functionality. If even that doesn't work, that disk might be dead.

You do not need an activation key for windows 10, it will automatically activate based on your hardware configuration.
It sounds like your system was updating and then you shut it off, causing corruptions. It certainly can be HDD failure though, so the first thing to do is to go to a friend's house and make a recovery media disk for Windows 10 (using the Media Creation Tool).

You can't really do anything until you have the "disk", but once you do you need to try accessing safe mode and running sfc /scannow to check for corruption. If safemode doesn't start, you'll need to test using the repair install functionality. If even that doesn't work, that disk might be dead.

You do not need an activation key for windows 10, it will automatically activate based on your hardware configuration.

Solution

Reece OBrien

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.