Windows 10 completely unresponsive after log in

Fragglerocker

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
So yesterday as I loaded into a pubg match, my computer locked up. I rebooted it, however, post reboot as soon as I log into windows nothing responds. Everything leading up to successfully logging in works fine.

So I decided to reformat. I reformatted using the option to retain files as there were a few documents I required. Post reformatting I was still experiencing the same problem. I can move the mouse around, but everything is non responsive. When I hover over the task bar it shows me the loading wheel, I can access task manager but it just pops up the window and never loads info.

So using dos I retrieved my files and then I reformatted with a 100% clean install. It loads into windows but again same issue. Everything just comes up not responding.

Is this likely a HD issue? Oh oddly I pulled one of my graphics cards (running two 660s Sli) and the problem got better for a bit. I was able to load task manager and see that I had 100% disk usage. But everytime I've tried to load it since it won't load.

I'm thinking HD.

As an added note, I just ran check disk from dos prompt and it reported zero issues on my HD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try unplugging all external devices apart from mouse/keyboard before startup, sometimes slowness at desktop is a sign PC is waiting for a device to respond. Same thing happened when my speakers stopped working last year.

I assume dos = command prompt

What are specs of PC?

Try running free version of HDTune on PC and look at the health tab - see its SMART score

Fragglerocker

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I meant command prompt. Guess I dated myself a bit.

I tried what you suggested, that had no effect. I turned off windows search, superfetvh, and readjusted my display setting and still nothing.

In a fit of frustration I went and bought a new SSD, computer now works fine. So must have been HD.