[SOLVED] Windows 10 constantly gives CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD when installing programs ?

Jan 15, 2021
I just built this computer last month, and every time I try to install stuff (most recent is Bluestacks), it gets to like 96% finished and then BSOD with the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error code.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 ram
Seasonic FOCUS Platinum 850w psu
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE mobo
GTX 1060gb 6gb gpu
be quiet! Dark rock pro 4 cpu cooler
Samsung 970 EVO m.2 SSD

I ran memtest86 overnight, and it came back with no errors after 7 hours. The BSOD happens the last two times I've tried to install Bluestacks, and it was happening before when I was trying to set up my pc initially (can't remember which installer caused it that time). I was able to install stuff then, and the program that caused the BSOD fixed itself when I tried again. Only thing I have OC-wise is XMP enabled to allow my RAM to run at 3600 mhz, and I have my GPU OC'd based on the previous owner's settings. Other than that, I haven't changed anything about the system. I have spent days looking at all the threads I can find on the issue, and everyone suggests it's an OC issue, usually with under volting. Once memtest came back clean, that should rule out any RAM issues.

I have saved the memtest results, and I still have the dump files if needed.

EDIT: WhoCrashed says amdppm.sys, ntfs.sys, and ntoskrnl.exe are the culprits.

Last edited:
Solution
First one happened in registry. Both could be windows crashes.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

BIOS - all updates since F20 mostly adding support for the XT series and then the 5000 series AMD CPU, it might help to update it and chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 since you don't have any from 2020.

new version of Icue

I have a X570 Elite WIFI so your drivers look very familiar and I...
Hey there,

This error can sometimes be caused by OC's. So, try at stock and see if the BSOD's still happen. It can also be caused by rogue Windows updates.

edit: You might also look at your Anti-virus. Disable it whilst installing one of the problematic apps, and see if it can complete the install,

Jan 15, 2021
I never got BSOD on my last computer, and I think I've gotten more than 5 in the first month of owning this one. The only anti-virus I have is the built in Windows Defender. I have malwarebytes, but it's not the always running version. I'm on the 2021-01 Windows update as well, just updated it 2 days ago.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
it is in its name, who crashed. It shows you the victim in most cases. before i knew people who could convert the dump files it took longer to get an answer. As I had to wait for whocrashed to tell me.

I have to send dump link to a friend, he will reply with a link I can use to look at a conversion he makes on the dump files. They not readable without it

Jan 15, 2021
I was looking up how to read the dump files, but it seemed to be a difficult process :/ That's neat your friend can convert them to be readable! Thank you so much for looking into this for me!

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/phstj7n6/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:011521-6218-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 07:33:02)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SearchApp.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:011421-7265-01.dmp (Jan 14 2021 - 20:49:26)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Possible Motherboard page: Comment: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10#kf
There is a BIOS update available for your system. One of the things it does is optimize the performance your CPU. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
First one happened in registry. Both could be windows crashes.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

BIOS - all updates since F20 mostly adding support for the XT series and then the 5000 series AMD CPU, it might help to update it and chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 since you don't have any from 2020.

new version of Icue

I have a X570 Elite WIFI so your drivers look very familiar and I knew story of bios without looking. I am on F20 still, PC seems to work fine without grabbing newest BIOS.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 15, 2021
Okay, I am running SFC /snannow right now.

It only took a few seconds while I was writing this.

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

That fixed some files. I'll run the second command and reply back with an update of the output. Thank you so much again! This is extremely helpful. I'll look into updating the BIOS and chipset drivers if this doesn't fix the BSODs.

Jan 15, 2021
Path : Online : True ImageHealthState : Healthy RestartNeeded : False

is the output from the second command. I reran the first scan again, and it said no issues, and I restarted even though it said no restart needed.

I retried the same installer that was causing the issue, and my pc just BSOD again with the same error code. I have just found a few other people all saying they are encountering the same error code when they try installing as well using the 5000 series AMD processors, so it sounds like an issue with Bluestacks and not with my system, which I'm so thankful to hear.

I'm currently rerunning the SFC scan right now, which is taking a lot longer than it initially did. It's been stuck on 88% for the past few minutes. I'll restart once it's finished, and then check my BIOS. One other person having this issue said that enabling SVM in their BIOS fixed this BSOD, which is what I'll try next and see.

Thank you again for all of the help so far! I'll remember the SFC /scannow command to fix system files if anything like this ever happens again.

EDIT: Enabling SVM in the BIOS fixed the installation issue! I'll mark your answer as the correct answer, because running SFC /scannow seemed to have fixed the system files that were corrupted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif