Windows 10 corrupted files

Greatwulf

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Hi Guys. I just have a quick question to ask as im having real trouble. I currently hold a windows 8 pro key and originally had it installed on my machine. I then upgraded to windows 8.1 and then later when it came out upgraded to windows 10. On the windows 10 installation right at the end it said there was an error and installation was unsuccessful! I rebooted the PC and it seemed to load into windows 10 fine, but now it wont let me activate windows and im stuck using an unactivated windows 10. I ran all of the usual fixes and discovered there were some corrupted files and none of the usual fixes work. Im just wondering what the best course of action would be? should I reinstall windows 8 and try to upgrade to windows 10 again? or will I be able to do a clean install of windows 10 and use my 8 key?

Many thanks

Solution
Hello Greatwulf. I hate to disappoint you, but it appears you will need to reinstall your Windows 8 software (w/activation key) and upgrade to Windows 10. The problem is with the multiple upgrades. Microsoft uses a default activation key with each one of your upgrades, but it is useless to the end user if they want to activate the latest upgrade. Additionally Microsoft has had multiple issues with the upgrade/activation process, a recent patch came down to Windows 10 to help correct these issues.

Before you go through the hassle of reinstalling your OS, try this; open a CMD window with administrator rights. Enter sfc /scannow to verify that you do have corrupt files. If you do, reboot your system. Once back at the desktop, once...

USAFRet

Titan
or will I be able to do a clean install of windows 10 and use my 8 key?

Maybe. The most recent build of Win 10 allows this function.
But since you have already 'used' your existing WIn 8 license to do the Upgrade the first time, unknown if this would still work.

But you have nothing to lose by trying.
Why did the Upgrade fail the first time?

Brawly44

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Hello Greatwulf. I hate to disappoint you, but it appears you will need to reinstall your Windows 8 software (w/activation key) and upgrade to Windows 10. The problem is with the multiple upgrades. Microsoft uses a default activation key with each one of your upgrades, but it is useless to the end user if they want to activate the latest upgrade. Additionally Microsoft has had multiple issues with the upgrade/activation process, a recent patch came down to Windows 10 to help correct these issues.

Before you go through the hassle of reinstalling your OS, try this; open a CMD window with administrator rights. Enter sfc /scannow to verify that you do have corrupt files. If you do, reboot your system. Once back at the desktop, once again open a CMD window with admin rights. Enter the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. This will attempt to correct or fix the corrupt files. If this fails, I am afraid you need to settle back and begin the task of reinstalling your Windows operating system. I hope you find this helpful!

Solution

Greatwulf

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Thanks a lot guys. I tried Brawly44's solutions and unfortunately none seemed to work! Will have to reinstall windows at some point this week and go through the whole update rigmarole again!

Thanks a lot

Pramethius

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Pramethius

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Pramethius

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
If it's a legitimate CD Key? You should be able to use it on Windows 10 Clean install, Though I suggest after a clean boot, you give it a chance to activate first, An then if it fails to Activate follow the prompt an lode your Windows 8.0 CD Key.