Windows 10 Crashes at the Bootup even in Safemode

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
My windows 10 will not boot up not even in safe mode. I downloaded an app called Boost Drive with 43,000,000 downloads from CNET, so I thought it was safe. Nope. I removed it, and I tried restoring the computer back to what it was right before I downloaded it.

This is what I have: the problem PC with an SSD and HDD, and a laptop with a USB converter in order to access the drives from the PC.

How should I rebuild the status of my W10. Should I download a new copy onto the SSD with the old copy on it that is bugged up, so that it repairs it or just replaces it? Or should I download a copy of W10 onto the HDD that doesn't have a copy of W10 on it yet?

I also want to be sure that I have all of my apps and files after all of this. That's a big deal for me.

This thing is causing me to miss work. Thanks for any advise. Much appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Problem:
System does not boot up.

Requirements:
1. Fix it so that it boots up
2. I also want to be sure that I have all of my apps and files after all of this.

What, exactly, happens when you power on?
What happened when you tried the restore point?

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Well, when I installed the Boost Driver app from CNET, it changed settings on my computer, and most of my monitors all shut down etc. I uninstalled the app, and before doing it, it asked if I want to uninstall licenses and something else. It said, "Not recommended." I thought I just wanted to remove everything from the app because it was just a hustle to get $25.

When it installed, it say it was creating a restore point, and for it to download took to long compared to every other app like this.

I removed it, checked remove the licenses box and another box, and then I went ahead and restored it back to what it was before downloading.

When the computer booted back up, it just crashed into the light blue screen that says it's taking data to send to the company. It then goes into automatic repair mode, and that fails. I tried to boot it in safemode, and that failed several times.

I took the drive out, and looked at it on my laptop, and everything looked okay.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Nope. Good idea. I would have if it occurred to me. I'm not a pro with this machine yet I guess. I'm working on it though. Learning how to code in a few languages, and working online.

USAFRet

Titan

Backups need to happen often, and automated.
My systems do a backup every night, unattended.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

But moving on...
Can you boot from a Win 10 install USB, and try the Repair function?

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I will do that too.

I guess I can try that. I think it has something to do with a Rufus, correct? Can you refresh me on that? About how big of a data stick do I need to hold it?

Also I'm not sure which version of the W10 I have. I really never noticed. I'm hoping I can get it back to what I had before without paying for a new OS.

USAFRet

Titan

Create a new Win 10 USB here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You need an 8GB USB stick.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Basically the way I understand it is that I'll drop the USB in to boot from that, and then I'll go to repair from this USB drive's W10, but is that going to repair the W10 that is on the PC?

I would think that the repair function would only apply to the USB drive rather than the PC drive. I'm wrong though, right?

USAFRet

Titan

The "repair" should talk to the OS on the SSD, not the install on the USB.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I'm about to do the operation, but I gotta check on something.

What will this delete on the PC, and...

...is there a way to determine which version of Windows 10 is on the PC via firmware menus or by plugging the SSD with W10 on it into the laptop USB?