[SOLVED] Windows 10 creation tool won't work

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
I have finished putting together my new Ryzen system. I am currently trying to download windows to a flash drive from my laptop. I have tried a couple of times now but it keeps telling the Media Creation tool has stopped running. First time I got only a few % of the way through. The second time it got 100% of the way through and then stopped working in the middle of "progress." My laptop is a lenovo with windows 10 on it. I formatted the Kingston 64gb usb using the cmd method I found online. I also made sure I was creating the OS on usb in the options.

Suggestions?

My plan was to run the watermarked version until I get my 5700xt and install my ssd, then buy the license.

Solution
that is unusual. How up to date is windows on the laptop? perhaps run windows update on it and see if there is anything for it

Makes me think its the laptop you are running the tool on, as shouldn't have this much trouble downloading the files needed to make installer itself

try downloading media creation tool again? maybe its bugged?

Colif

Win 11 Master
that is unusual. How up to date is windows on the laptop? perhaps run windows update on it and see if there is anything for it

Makes me think its the laptop you are running the tool on, as shouldn't have this much trouble downloading the files needed to make installer itself

try downloading media creation tool again? maybe its bugged?

Solution

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
Windows on my laptop is up to date. I'm trying it again with all anti virus/defender stuff disabled to see if that works. While I did that one time previously this time I formatted the USB through windows regular format tool. It is at 70% progress so hopefully it works this time.

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
Nope got to 50% progress during verifying your download. Says: there was a problem running this tool. "We are not sure what happened but we are unable to run this tool on your PC. Error code 0x80042405 - 0xA001B

Colif

Win 11 Master
how much free space on the laptop?

In order for the Media Creation Tool to download the installation files, the local drive needs to have a minimum of 12 GBs of free space. I believe also with the 1903 version, you need to have at least 16 GBs or more free space.

If that does not work, I would delete the copy of the Media Creation Tool you downloaded then download another copy.

You can also, right click the Media Creation Tool, click Properties
Click the Compatibility tab
Make sure compatibility is not enabled.

Alternative:

Download the ISO file separately, then use a free utility called Rufus to make a bootable copy.

Step 1: Download Windows 10 ISO Files Directly Using Your Web Browser
https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/24-how-to-do...

Step 2:

How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-0xa001b/48b2c661-c065-4b1e-b103-d41d029dcb13

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
For anyone else that may have this issue I still don't know exactly what fixed it but I set it up to run while I slept. I downloaded the tool and dragged it into the flashdrive. Then ran it as admin. All anti virus, including malwarebytes was disabled. So it was either that, there is a bug and it just happened to work, or it doesn't like being watched. I'd suspect the latter.

Thanks for the help.