Windows 10 Creators Update Improves, But Doesn't Fix, High DPI Scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamahahornist

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I have a 2560x1440p monitor and I just put scaling at 100% (not the recommend 150%) and it looks perfect; plus I get the full work space. I really don't get why anyone would want to use any scaling other than 100%. I paid for 1440p for a reason; not to make it look artificially like 1080p. Maybe some one could give me a reason why they would want to scale 1440p? I get 4k wanting to be scaled, but I have no problems with 1440p.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
Yeah it's pretty messy using scaling with 4k, I tend to just set it to 1080p with no scaling when I need to use my computer on the TV.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

jeez and to think all this time I was trying to pick it up first then slide... thanks!

lmao... the problem with scaling has nothing to do with not knowing how to enable it. It's that it sucks and doesn't work properly on everything. If you scale a 4K resolution by 200% everything should be the size of a 1080P resolution. Not some thing and not others...

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I find the scaling quite good now, most of the apps I use have finally been updated with support. 150 percent for QHD and even 300 percent for 4K works pretty well. Now I have a 960 EVO I can quickly log out if needed for one app.

I had perfect vision until my 30th birthday, now having a range of problems with my eyes, so it is really appreciated.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"I have a 2560x1440p monitor and I just put scaling at 100% (not the recommend 150%) and it looks perfect; plus I get the full work space. I really don't get why anyone would want to use any scaling other than 100%. I paid for 1440p for a reason; not to make it look artificially like 1080p. Maybe some one could give me a reason why they would want to scale 1440p? I get 4k wanting to be scaled, but I have no problems with 1440p."

Well assuming you have about a 27"-31" monitor, then you should set it to 100%. If you however have a 21" at 1440p text would be too small at 100%. And if you have a 2160p 24" well text is going to be too small as well.

The problem is so much software has been developed assuming about 90 dpi. So they for instance set a button to be 30x30 pixels, if all of a sudden you got to 180dpi, the buttons are too small to be functional. If you go to 360 dpi(8k) everything is just unreadable/broken without scaling. (this paragraph assumes that you dont change your phsical monitor size, obviously if you go from 1080p to 2160p and double your physical monitor size, there is no problem)

Aslan7

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
FUCKING BULLSHIT POPUPS!!! I really need to quit reading this site. First it demands the ability to show notifications. Why? If I want to know the tech news I'll come to you, yet you demand to show notifications every time I'm here. Now I can't even follow a link on the front page without a popup demanding my email address. Your users hate you, what's your webmasters problem? Your site has been bad for years and you keep insisting on making it worse.

I don't get any popups...
Have you ever heard of malware?

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

First thing that comes to mind is that scaling could help people with visual impairments. I know windows used to have that magnifier mode that ballooned up text wherever the mouse was. I would imagine scaling helps that a bit more instead of having to hunt around the screen with a virtual magnifying glass.

Other than that, yeah, definitely for the 4K crowd. I have a HTPC hooked up to a 50" 4K TV. When I'm not using the HTPC 10 Ft interface (Mediaportal/SteamBPM ), it is pretty tough to navigate in windows from the couch with the tiny 100% text size.

GLWard90301

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
It is not the only problem. I have an older system and went to upgrade and at 95% completion it went into a never ending loop that failed to finish the install that lasted for well over two hours. I finally gave up and canceled, restoring the previous version.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I agree this site has annoying popups. I don't even visit if I don't have adblock running. Half the time, the site crashes on me.

danieldourado_2

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
I have a 40" 4k screen, 1060 and scaling is set to 200%... Everything looks fine and I don't have the issues in this article... WTF is going on?

danieldourado_2

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

Really? What games didn't support 4k? Virtually all game engnies are designed to support any resolution...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
There is also another Windows 10 DPI scaling problem. If you use a custom DPI (instead of the +25% increments), Live Tiles don't work. For example, if you use 150% DPI... everything works... but if you use 148% or 151% then they stop working.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

I was just going off of my own systems and how they work with it. I do have 1080p only but use AMD VSR to scale it up to higher res in both windows and in the games. For myself it just seems to scale everything to look proper. Maybe on a true 4K setup maybe windows sucks at doing it. So I guess if people are having problems hopefully this helps them get things working better in the new version of Windows.

danieldourado_2

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

Really? How do you do you set custom DPI on Windows?

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I wrote a comment, questioning the bizarre complaints Tom's listed above, unfortunately, Tom's has so incompetent developers they can't even make a simple comment section work. The comment disappeared into the ether with an 80's style error message in the style of "this field cannot be empty".
Long story short: GDI+ content is legacy, as far as I know. DX content is controlled by the developed software (the games) to make life easier for devs when they have to optimise their games for various hardware. Just a comparison, try running a game on the new Galaxy S8 or LG G6. Looks like &*%$, doesn't it? Bitmaps doesn't scale? That's quite shocking, isn't it! I mean, Harrison Ford did it without issues in a movie over 20 years ago! Your last point is a repeated variation of your DX complaint, with the same answer....

Status
Not open for further replies.