windows 10 desktop icons resetting on left side of screen on restart or " refresh"

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
So ... auto arrange is ofc unchecked. This crap started today after starting my PC i noticed all my icons are resetted on the left side of the screen.

Even if i move my icons, they will rearrange on left side of screen on restart or if i press right click, then " refresh" on desktop.

I thought it's caused by a virus. so i ran malwarebytes , then ran ESET scan.... both with administrator rights and with the deepest possible settings. zero viruses found...

I also used sfc scannow just to make sure systems files are ok...

Well i'm clueless what to do , but it's driving me crazy...

thx for any help in advance

The only other solvable error i can think of (other than a really strange corruption, which you can scan for with sfc /scannow in an administrator command prompt) is that what you're actually experiencing is loss of resolution followed by the resolution returning (which will cause icons to shift), but even that won't really explain icons arranging themselves when you click refresh.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished

sfc scannow reported no integrity violation in system files( was one of the first things i checked because i suspected a system file corruption too ) . i've also ran several graphically heavy applications like GTA5 on ultra while monitoring several important values, and my GPU performance doesn't seem to have any issue. it is like it used to be... it's really weird. don't really know how to continue troubleshooting this :s

Jimi T

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Icons Displaying on the left side of monitor after a refresh or crash.
I was going to buzz on about people who make ridiculous answers, however that's as constructive as their answers. Sorry peeps, at least you try to help so I will shut my mouth lol.
My eventual fix is a lovely little non intrusive program that deserves BIG ups. Even a payment to the developer would be great. NO, I'm not him lol.
Desktop OK , that's its name, type it into your browser and BOOM fixed the "moving left" icon issue. SOOOooo simple, download it, open it directly onto your desktop, now I didn't do that, I opened the ZIP file into my C:temp folder, copy and pasted the exe file directly onto my desktop.
The interface is simple and intuitive. If you already have your desktop icons set up the way you want them. Then 'click' (that's a left click by the way) the "Save" button on the interface and if you want to get creative, double click the numbers at the beginning of the blue highlighted bar, rename it so you know what it is. Next time you see your desktop all over to port-side, open Desktop OK , when you find it- you should see my DTop Icon count- and load it up with your saved file and BOOM! DONE! Made my life so much better, I don't waste time anymore re-organizing my numerous icons.

Jimi T

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I should have added, apparently Windows 10 gives you no way to save your Desktop Icon layout. May seem small to big ol Microsoft, yet when the desktop goes left, and all your hard work (yeah right) doing a layout you want, e.g.( bit of useless info) I like to group all my icons into my work categories, 3D Graphics, Illustration, Design, Music production etc. Im sure you get it.
Thats why I find " Desktop OK " a great little program. Saves on time and stops those moments of utter "losing your *&#**&" when you know your about to waste another 10 minutes organizing, making coffee, sending texts regarding your frustration, letting your friends know on Facebook how frustrated you are with Windows10 , see easy 10 minutes gone LOL