[SOLVED] Windows 10 doesn't after ANY shutdown/restart

Jan 14, 2022
I'll start by mentioning that this whole problem began when I swapped my old Ryzen 5 2400g with a Ryzen 5 5600x. The mobo I have, Asus prime b450m-a, had an outdated BIOS version at the time, which caused a few issues. After sorting out the BIOS, I then ran into the issue of my kingston a1000 240gb M.2 NVMe ssd virtually disappearing from the computer's view, giving me a black screen and the message "reboot and select proper boot device", which is a problem because this is my boot drive. I've actually asked about this before: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/problem-with-m-2-nvme-ssd-after-updating-asus-bios.3744864/, but it didn't get me anywhere. A temporary solution I've discovered is to physically open my pc, remove the ssd, and reinstall it, which then allows the pc to boot properly. If the computer shuts down or restarts in ANY way, including a random restart or update in the middle of the night, I have to remove and reinstall the ssd again. I've been dealing with this for the last couple months, but now that I've had some free time, I decided I wanted to fix it permanently. So far today, I've copied the files I wanted to keep on a separate hard drive, and gone so far as going to the startup settings within the recovery tab in settings, and finding my way to the "fully clean drive" option, and following through with it. Even after doing what seems to be the most extreme option when it comes to resetting the pc, I'm still dealing with the kingston's crappy disappearing act. I'm at a complete loss at the moment, and need some help. I feel like my best bet would be to completely wipe the kingston ssd as if I had just bought it, which I thought the "fully clean" option would do, but I guess not. Any suggestions?

Solution
I then ran into the issue of my kingston a1000 240gb M.2 NVMe ssd virtually disappearing from the computer's view, giving me a black screen and the message "reboot and select proper boot device", which is a problem because this is my boot drive.
did it disappear during operation or at boot?

Asus prime b450m-a
curious, what boot method is set in BIOS?
in the advanced view of BIOS, on boot tab, under CSM. what is set?
page 3-18 here (yes, this isn't your MB but asus only include so much info about BIOS in B450 manuals so I use the X boards instead as they have way more) - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/E13883_PRIME__X470-PRO_UM_WEB.pdf

if its set to auto, the boot method can switch...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jan 14, 2022
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

resets aren't fully clean installs

this is: follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

if you copied everything off the drive, that will wipe drive and start again.

If ssd keeps disappearing, it could be thee drive itself.

only have the nvme you want windows in PC when you install.
Ok, followed that guide carefully, no dice. Still running into the boot error. So that indicates a problem with the drive itself, I suppose. What I don't get is that the drive worked perfectly fine when paired with the previous r5 2400g cpu. There was a point while dealing with the outdated bios that I swapped back in the 2400g in order to install the new bios, since having the 5600x with the outdated bios made it so no signal was sent to the monitor. The ssd did work here though, which is what confuses me. Should I just get a new ssd anyway to avoid further hassle?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I then ran into the issue of my kingston a1000 240gb M.2 NVMe ssd virtually disappearing from the computer's view, giving me a black screen and the message "reboot and select proper boot device", which is a problem because this is my boot drive.

Asus prime b450m-a
curious, what boot method is set in BIOS?
in the advanced view of BIOS, on boot tab, under CSM. what is set?
page 3-18 here (yes, this isn't your MB but asus only include so much info about BIOS in B450 manuals so I use the X boards instead as they have way more) - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/E13883_PRIME__X470-PRO_UM_WEB.pdf

if its set to auto, the boot method can switch at startup and try another boot methods. 2 ways windows can boot, MBR which matches old operating systems and GPT which is how Windows 10 prefers now

Explanation of terms:

UEFI - Unified extensible Firmware Interface

If your PC is less than 11 years old, you have a UEFI bios now

In 2006 or so Intel decided the bios as it was at time was too limited and needed to be replaced so that it supported newer technologies as they were invented
By about 2009 a consortium of hardware makers had combined to create UEFI standard

Old bios were limited, they didn't know what a mouse was for, so everything was keyboard driven
they weren't expandable, everything had to fit in a small amount of memory
they only supported Master Boot Record (MBR) which can only have 4 partitions per drive (there are tricks to get around this) and max drive size is 2.2 tb

UEFI bios overcame all the limitations of legacy bios (as it came to be called)
it supports mouse, it has a GUI so it looks better than previous bios could
Its expandable, it can be added to to grow as new hardware is created.
UEFI supports MBR & GPT Drives

GPT = GUID Partition Table
GUID = Global Unique ID = Every GPT drive on earth has a unique ID
GPT drives can have a max of 255 partitions on them
Max size of a GPT drive/partition is 18.8 million TB

if it happens during operation it could be the drive. Kingston drives seem to die a lot more than other brands
you could test it out with this - https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ssdmanager

Solution
Jan 14, 2022
At some point between shutdown and attempting to boot back up. When I say it disappears, I mean the bios doesn't even acknowledge it's existence. The only storage devices it shows are my 1tb HDD, when it's connected. So I wouldn't think it has anything to do with a certain boot method.
I'm probably just going to get a new m.2, it would be nice to upgrade the capacity anyway.
I've been looking at this samsung 980, the ratings are practically perfect out of ~8000 reviews, and I've read that samsung makes some of the best ssds. What do you guys think?