[SOLVED] Windows 10 doesn't install updates anymore

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi guys. Title sums it up. Since december 2022 , Windows updates keeps failing after the restart at 97% or so. I think the first update that failed was December 13 (KB5021233) , I just paused the update wand waited for teh next ones thinking that might fix it but no go , 2 more updates since then , all failing to ''we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes..''. Tryed fixing the update with the troubleshooter , with the media creation tool from USB and from windows. Tryed sfc scannow and dism commands.
Heard some guy here had some problem with the registry or so and was fixable by windows reinstall , but that is a pain to me because all of the data and programs and the way they're installed.
Is there any way to fix the update or the registry without reinstalling windows ? Manually install it or something , idk , editing the registry.
Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 PRO 64-bit

Solution
UPDATE & FIX !
Managed to fix the updates with MAS Software 's troubleshoot tools , with the rebuild wmi repository tool.
Everything updated like it should and worked fine. Thank you all for your help and guidance.
Well worked perfectly untill December 2022.
Here are the photos.
Recreate bootloader partition to larger size.
Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately and show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 3
(select 521MB partition)
delete partition override
create partition primary size=500
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:
Last message should be "Boot files created successfully".
Reboot and try windows updates.
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Recreate bootloader partition to larger size.
Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately and show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 3
(select 521MB partition)
delete partition override
create partition primary size=500
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:
Last message should be "Boot files created successfully".
Reboot and try windows updates.
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm
The commands worked fine. It created 2 more partitions. The updates went to 99% then failed with " we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes "

You can delete partition E: (old bootloader) and
remove drive letter from partition H: (new bootloader).
Do not delete this partition.

Check possible fxes listed here:

Note - fix #2 (from list) has been resolved already. You don't have to check that.

Reactions: raptor2012rom

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
You can delete partition E: (old bootloader) and
remove drive letter from partition H: (new bootloader).
Do not delete this partition.

Check possible fxes listed here:

Note - fix #2 (from list) has been resolved already. You don't have to check that.
I think I bumped into that before posting here.
1- already tried the update troubleshooter multiple times
2- we did that
3- internet strong , no problem with that
4- checked already
5- I don't really recall installing the update with firewall off. I knew about that , i'll try again later.
6- Ran multiple times SFC & DISM commands
7- I did a malwarebytes scan but i'll try with a full windows defender scan aswell.

I'll come with an update. thanks.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Update:
So , I tried scanning the PC with defender full , but after 2 hours was still 11h left so I cancelled , takes to much on a HDD. I did a full scan with malwarebytes and nothing came on. Also I don't think a virus is causing this.
Tried updating with firewall off. That didn't work too. After the restart the update failed at 99% with the ''we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes ''