[SOLVED] Windows 10 Drive Sharing From Separate Networks

Sep 7, 2020
I'm trying to share a drive from my computer, and access it thru a system i have on shadow.tech in a attempt to have more storage. I turned on network sharing, drive is ready to be connected to and was able to from my other computer but i cant figure out how to access it from outside networks. I tried a ftp connection (ftp://IP_ADDRESS/SERVERNAME/DRIVE)

Is it even possible to access from outside networks thru network sharing? If not is their a alternative I could do? ty

Solution
I feel that would create a good amount of unwanted latency. Im gonna be using the extra drive thru the network to put game installs on it.
Game installs?

Whether it be direct access (which you can't do), or VPN, or some other magic....you'll have the same connection issue.

And thisis only having the game install...not actually trying to run it from that remote system. That will NOT work.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm trying to share a drive from my computer, and access it thru a system i have on shadow.tech in a attempt to have more storage. I turned on network sharing, drive is ready to be connected to and was able to from my other computer but i cant figure out how to access it from outside networks. I tried a ftp connection (ftp://IP_ADDRESS/SERVERNAME/DRIVE)

Is it even possible to access from outside networks thru network sharing? If not is their a alternative I could do? ty
The secure way is to setup a VPN.

USAFRet

Titan
I feel that would create a good amount of unwanted latency. Im gonna be using the extra drive thru the network to put game installs on it.
Game installs?

Whether it be direct access (which you can't do), or VPN, or some other magic....you'll have the same connection issue.

And thisis only having the game install...not actually trying to run it from that remote system. That will NOT work.

Solution
Sep 7, 2020
So reading from the disk with be a maximum of 40Mb/s -- 5MB/s -- That is POOR performance.
Didn't even think about how slow it would grab the data from my network. well i guess this idea is a bust. Just gotta wait till they have more upgrade spots cause atm everything is waiting list.

USAFRet

Titan
Even at symmetrical gigabit speed over the innertubes....performance will terrible.

I've tried a Steam game install in my internal LAN, the game installed in a shared space and drive letter on my NAS box.
Straightup gigabit performance, to a system on the other side of my living room, nearly unplayable.
Over the internet? Not a chance.

Sep 7, 2020
Even at symmetrical gigabit speed over the innertubes....performance will terrible.

I've tried a Steam game install in my internal LAN, the game installed in a shared space and drive letter on my NAS box.
Straightup gigabit performance, to a system on the other side of my living room, nearly unplayable.
Over the internet? Not a chance.
Damn, ty for the feedback. First time posting on here and yall were very helpful and i appreciate it. Have a good day :)