Windows 10 Education Clean Install

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Current OS: Windows 10 Edu (for Hyper-V)
Bootable USB OS bought: Windows 10 Home
Keys: Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Edu (from DreamSpark linked to my school)
Situation: New SDD I want to install as C-drive with a an additional HDD for Documents (those 4 directories for Images, Music, Documents and Videos)

Question(s):
1) Can I use those keys again at Clean Install? I experimented going from a bugged Pro to go back to Home but it did not accept the key as it said it was already "in use"

2) What do I need to do in order to have my OS installed on the SSD and have my documents (music/images/videos/documents) save/direct data to my HDD?

3) About question 2, are there any problems I should be aware off when applying this?

Thanks for the answers!

PS: already tried google it but can't find anything specific.

Solution
Hello Terrorsquad1990

To answer your questions:

1) Yes you can use the same keys after performing a clean install. However, while activating Windows, you must Contact Microsoft Customer Support Team and request them to help you.

2) You can simply transfer all your data to your HDD, disconnect the HDD from the computer, install Windows on the SSD, and then reconnect the HDD back.

3) As mentioned in the second answer, make sure that you disconnect the HDD while installing the OS on SSD. This is important because if you keep the HDD connected, after the installation, you may face some Windows booting issues.

Let me know if you have any more questions or any other assistance is needed.

Cheers!!
Hello Terrorsquad1990

To answer your questions:

1) Yes you can use the same keys after performing a clean install. However, while activating Windows, you must Contact Microsoft Customer Support Team and request them to help you.

2) You can simply transfer all your data to your HDD, disconnect the HDD from the computer, install Windows on the SSD, and then reconnect the HDD back.

3) As mentioned in the second answer, make sure that you disconnect the HDD while installing the OS on SSD. This is important because if you keep the HDD connected, after the installation, you may face some Windows booting issues.

Let me know if you have any more questions or any other assistance is needed.

Cheers!!

Solution

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

Hey there!

1) Why do I need to contact support team to do a Clean Install? How is that supposed to work? With a ticket? Doesnt that take days till I can actually do a Clean Install then?
2) I think you got me wrong here. What I meant was using a SSD and a HDD at the same time, while OS is on the SSD (C drive) and HDD is used to save everything going into everything below "This PC" in File Explorer.

So when I dowload something, it shouldnt go to my C drive but it should go to my D-drive instead (HDD)..
So basically re-direct everything supposed to go C, to D (HDD).

Cheers

Hello again Terrorsquad1990

1) This is the way Microsoft works. Every time you install an OS and activate it, the operating system generates a unique product ID using the combination of the hardware and the product key. Once you remove the OS, the product ID is gone too and when you re-install Windows, a new product ID is to be generated with an unused product key. To nullify any existing traces of your product key, you need to contact Microsoft.

2) You can always use both SSD and HDD at the same time. It is just that at the time of installing Windows on an SSD, you need to disconnect your HDD. After the installation is complete, you can safely reconnect the HDD and use it as any other drive.

To change the default download location from C:\ to some other drive, you can follow the steps given in this tutorial.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

In my study as PC -and Networktechnician I never ever had to contact support when initializing a Clean Install so I don't really get the idea behind it.

I guess it's just a Windows 10 thing?
So what exactly are the steps I need to do starting at booting from (usb)image with Windows 10 on it?
And are you saying I need to buy another Windows 10 key, just for a clean-install? :/