[SOLVED] Windows 10 education

Zenith220

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
I got a key from a site called onthehub which I'm not sure it is to be trusted now, but it tried to upgrade the windows on the new pc.
It then blue screened after restarting and now it just give a black screen with no access to the bios or any hot keys to get out of it, the only thing that works is ctrl+alt+delete which should get me back to Windows but instead restarts the pc, what should I do.

Solution
Well, when you buy a tv out of somebody's van in the parking lot at Walmart, you know you are taking a risk. This is no different.

There are only TWO legitimate ways aside from having it come on the system to get a valid copy of Windows or a Windows license.

1. Directly from Microsoft.

2. Directly from a Microsoft retail partner.

Pretty sure onthehub is neither of those.

What you SHOULD do is make legitimate installation media using the Microsoft media creation tool or buy a licensed copy of Windows (Or valid product key) through Microsoft of one it's licensed retail partners like Amazon, Newegg and sites like that. And not through a third party seller on those sites either. DIRECTLY from them.

Then, after you have done that, do...
Well, when you buy a tv out of somebody's van in the parking lot at Walmart, you know you are taking a risk. This is no different.

There are only TWO legitimate ways aside from having it come on the system to get a valid copy of Windows or a Windows license.

1. Directly from Microsoft.

2. Directly from a Microsoft retail partner.

Pretty sure onthehub is neither of those.

What you SHOULD do is make legitimate installation media using the Microsoft media creation tool or buy a licensed copy of Windows (Or valid product key) through Microsoft of one it's licensed retail partners like Amazon, Newegg and sites like that. And not through a third party seller on those sites either. DIRECTLY from them.

Then, after you have done that, do a CLEAN install. That, is what you SHOULD do.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
With Windows, there are 2 considerations. Operation and Licensing.

"onthhub" is absolutely not a valid reseller of a Windows OS license.
Multiple unfortunate things can happen with a 'not-legit' license key
One of which is eventual Unactivation.
The laptop I'm typing this on is a victim of such.
Purchased late Feb 2019, refurb from a 3rd party seller on Newegg.
Exactly 6 months later, poof...the Windows OS that was installed on it when I got it reports as Unactivated.

The OS that came with it is not what was installed from the factory.
But whatever. I buy a system, it comes with an OS, I expect it to be a valid OS.
This appears to be an OS license from some corporation. Which is exactly where places like 'onthehub' obtain theirs and how they can sell them so cheaply.
It is a Volume License Key, and it expects/requires to check in to a corporate key management server at east once every 6 months.

As said...the laptop I'm typing this on right now is suffering through this.

The second consideration is the operation.
The validity of the license key has little or nothing to do with the operation of the OS.
Bluescreen, whatever.

Either where you got the OS install from is not quite right, or you have some hardware issues.

You need to create a new USB Win 10 install, do a full wipe and reinstall.
If the problems still occur, then you delve in to hardware issues.

Zenith220

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
I still have the windows 10 on a USB as it is a new pc, however I cannot access the bios at all, I can't seem to do anything except press ctrl alt del which just restarts it, I can't even do a clean install, there are no hardware issues as it is a fresh pc and was working fine for 2 days before this happened

The validity of the license key has little or nothing to do with the operation of the OS.
Bluescreen, whatever.

Either where you got the OS install from is not quite right, or you have some hardware issues.

You need to create a new USB Win 10 install, do a full wipe and reinstall.
If the problems still occur, then you delve in to hardware issues.

Exactly right. This concurs with everything I said above, but perhaps a little more easily understood than my post AND including the tidbit that I forgot to mention, which is that it might not be related to the Windows installation at all, but instead, is a hardware problem.

I still have the windows 10 on a USB as it is a new pc, however I cannot access the bios at all, I can't seem to do anything except press ctrl alt del which just restarts it, I can't even do a clean install, there are no hardware issues as it is a fresh pc and was working fine for 2 days before this happened

That's not a Windows problem. That's a hardware problem. If you bought this from a legitimate retailer, and not a back alley like the license (LOL) then I'd return it. There's no reason to put up with a system that can't be used.

Perhaps some clarification on WHAT you mean by "can't access the bios"? Does it just go past the BIOS too quickly? Is this "PC" a laptop, or a desktop, or a tablet, or what?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery?

Zenith220

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
I have managed to fix the pc now as it just seemed to fix itself, however now the monitor is doing some glitching, loads of lines are appearing on the screen, is it gpu related? Or the monitor?

You still haven't told us anything about WHAT this computer is? Not only have you not given us any hardware specifications, you have completely neglected the request to know what KIND of computer it is as well, or offer any model numbers for anything at all.

Zenith220

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
You still haven't told us anything about WHAT this computer is? Not only have you not given us any hardware specifications, you have completely neglected the request to know what KIND of computer it is as well, or offer any model numbers for anything at all.
Oh sorry, the pc is a custom built, specs below
Asus prime z270 - p motherboard
650W psu corsair
860 evo ssd 250gb
Gtx 1050ti gpu (doesn't have a connector for a pcie wire for some reason)
I5 6600k cpu
The monitor is a dell 27 monitor SE2717H
Is this all the info required?

Zenith220

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
It certainly is if you want assistants to be giving you informed opinions. Computer issues do not occur "in the abstract" but with a specific set of hardware and/or software.

An information vacuum makes making any sort of reasonable assessment impossible.
So what could the problem be? My thoughts are that it is a dodgy gpu? Or maybe it isn't strong enough to run a 27 inch monitor? All the hardware is fitted correctly to the best of my knowledge but it is also all new so could be faulty?

Now that we know what your hardware is, a few more questions.

Is this, for you anyhow, a new build? Or is this a system that was up and running for some period of time previously?

Have you done a CLEAN install of Windows, as outlined here?

Is your motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

Have you installed all of the relevant drivers for LAN/Ethernet and audio chipset from your motherboard product page?

Have you done a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers using the Display driver uninstaller in SAFE MODE, as outlined here:

Have you checked BOTH ends of your display cable to see if there are any bent or discolored pins on the cable? Tried a different cable? Tried a different KIND of cable?

The size of the monitor doesn't make ANY difference. Ever.

It wouldn't matter if it was six feet long. It's the resolution and refresh rate that matter, and mainly, just the resolution. Make sure you have the resolution and refresh rate set correctly for your monitor in the Nvidia control panel settings which you can access by right clicking your desktop. If your monitor has a 1920x1080 resolution, then in Nvidia control panel make sure it is set to that resolution under the "PC" resolutions, and not the UHD etc.

Make sure the refresh rate is set to the correct refresh rate for your display as well in Nvidia control panel.

Doesn't really sound like those are the problem, but check anyhow.