Question Windows 10 fails to boot, fails to reinstall, pls help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
So about a week ago I brought my PC back home from school and I came home to find my computer crashing during boot. The windows 10 logo would appear and dots would spin in circles. Soon after my screen would go black and no display would pop up. After trying about every option in UEFI, I resulted to reinstalling windows until both times I tried I got a "We couldn't install Windows 10, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation" . But I got this message on my desktop so my PC had booted, except for it booted in a weird 800x600 looking resolution and every time I try and bring up settings, settings crashes before opening. Also, my Ethernet is plugged in but my computer is not recognizing it.

PIC/ VIDEO
https://www.flickr.com/gp/171584238@N08/PX4TPj

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
B350 Tomahawk
8 GB DDR4 1066.4 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

EDIT: I also remember it created a log file during a boot repair and saved it somewhere but I cant remember exactly where. Somewhere under WINDOWS > System32

Last edited:

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Okay, go into the case and make sure the sata cable is properly plugged in. If that doesn't solve the problem, try a new cable.
Doing that now... I will update you in a few. There is an option in BIOS to boot from the ssd, is there a way I could install windows on my ssd via laptop and then plug it back in my pc and boot from the ssd?

Doing that now... I will update you in a few. There is an option in BIOS to boot from the ssd, is there a way I could install windows on my ssd via laptop and then plug it back in my pc and boot from the ssd?
No, the windows install for a laptop would be different from the install necessary for your PC. The last fix I would suggest would be to update your BIOs. Check and see what your BIOS version is , the most current version is 1m.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
No, the windows install for a laptop would be different from the install necessary for your PC. The last fix I would suggest would be to update your BIOs. Check and see what your BIOS version is , the most current version is 1m.
What if I plugged it into a working PC and downloaded windows on it that way? Also my BIOS version says E7A34AMS.150, I am not sure if that means I should update or not. Going to check diskpart now.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
What if I plugged it into a working PC and downloaded windows on it that way? Also my BIOS version says E7A34AMS.150, I am not sure if that means I should update or not. Going to check diskpart now.
"Diskpart has encountered an error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. See the System Event Log for more information. "

Do I need to enable it in bios?

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
okay go to a command prompt and see if diskpart sees your ssd. type "diskpart" enter; "list volume" enter "list disk" enter. and send a print screen photo or of the results.
I now remember reading somewhere online that maybe my ssd was not showing up because it is also called :)C) so when I went to change that it said my virtual disk service was unavailable, is that the same thing as this?

Okay, let me walk that back. What is more likely is the Samsung ssd has some compatibility issues with your system which has been reported as a bug in some systems. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...an-t-see-the-860-EVO-SSD-but-it-s/td-p/405292 The fix seems to be to put it in another computer and run diskpart to partition and format.

At this point I would try another brand ssd. You should also contact MSI and see if you have to most current BIOS.

7A34v1M (the current on web page) vs E7A34AMS.150 It almost looks like you are current, but you should make sure.

Last edited:

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Okay, let me walk that back. What is more likely is the Samsung ssd has some compatibility issues with your system which has been reported as a bug in some systems. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...an-t-see-the-860-EVO-SSD-but-it-s/td-p/405292 The fix seems to be to put it in another computer and run diskpart to partition and format.

At this point I would try another brand ssd. You should also contact MSI and see if you have to most current BIOS.

7A34v1M (the current on web page) vs E7A34AMS.150 It almost looks like you are current, but you should make sure.
Sounds good.
Check me here...
I should put my ssd in another comp to part and format, if this does not work I will try another brand.
If this does not work I will call MSI tomorrow and see about the versions.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Also, should I go ahead and install windows on it when I format it in the working PC? I know I keep bringing that up, is that something that wont help anything?

Windows 10 has specific drivers for the hardware in a PC, and these hardware chips are often made by different companies and will need specific drivers to run and very greatly from PC to PC. The hardware include the motherboard chipset, the bluetooth/Wifi adapter chip, the audio chip, the Ethernet adapter chip, the disk controller, the optical drive controller, etc. Just go to the Hardware Manager and every device listed under the hardware headings require it's own separate driver, and as I said, the manufacturer and model of each piece of hardware vary from PC to PC. When you install Windows 10, the installer identifies each piece of hardware and chooses what driver is necessary. When the installer is done, there is often a handful of hardware items, Windows did not have the correct driver for (or there may be a newer version), which requires downloading and installing the drivers from the manufacturers website. The point being the windows install for one system could have dozens of drivers installed, that would not work in another PC.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Windows 10 has specific drivers for the hardware in a PC, and these hardware chips are often made by different companies and will need specific drivers to run and very greatly from PC to PC. The hardware include the motherboard chipset, the bluetooth/Wifi adapter chip, the audio chip, the Ethernet adapter chip, the disk controller, the optical drive controller, etc. Just go to the Hardware Manager and every device listed under the hardware headings require it's own separate driver, and as I said, the manufacturer and model of each piece of hardware vary from PC to PC. When you install Windows 10, the installer identifies each piece of hardware and chooses what driver is necessary. When the installer is done, there is often a handful of hardware items, Windows did not have the correct driver for (or there may be a newer version), which requires downloading and installing the drivers from the manufacturers website. The point being the windows install for one system could have dozens of drivers installed, that would not work in another PC.
Ahh okay I understand this now, thanks for explaining, sorry for the oblivious-ness!

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
^^^^^

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
At this point I hoping this will be a normal install without the need for me to help. Make it so #1
Yeah nothing but that. Installing windows I get an error, the error means that I cannot install windows because my windows firewall is turned off. However, I get an error when turning on my firewall so that is where I am at now. The error I get is "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer with Error Code 87".