Question Windows 10 fails to boot, fails to reinstall, pls help

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
So about a week ago I brought my PC back home from school and I came home to find my computer crashing during boot. The windows 10 logo would appear and dots would spin in circles. Soon after my screen would go black and no display would pop up. After trying about every option in UEFI, I resulted to reinstalling windows until both times I tried I got a "We couldn't install Windows 10, The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation" . But I got this message on my desktop so my PC had booted, except for it booted in a weird 800x600 looking resolution and every time I try and bring up settings, settings crashes before opening. Also, my Ethernet is plugged in but my computer is not recognizing it.

PIC/ VIDEO
https://www.flickr.com/gp/171584238@N08/PX4TPj

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
B350 Tomahawk
8 GB DDR4 1066.4 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

EDIT: I also remember it created a log file during a boot repair and saved it somewhere but I cant remember exactly where. Somewhere under WINDOWS > System32

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you are installing windows, as a firewall should have nothing to do with a clean install, because windows should not even be loaded yet. Again make sure you have all other drives disconnected with only your new ssd and USB installer. Here is an overview on how to do a clean install. Some of which I assume you have already done. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ if something goes wrong with the USB install, you can also burn a DVD from the Windows Media Creator that sometimes works better..

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
I'm not sure how you are installing windows, as a firewall should have nothing to do with a clean install, because windows should not even be loaded yet. Again make sure you have all other drives disconnected with only your new ssd and USB installer. Here is an overview on how to do a clean install. Some of which I assume you have already done. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ if something goes wrong with the USB install, you can also burn a DVD from the Windows Media Creator that sometimes works better..
I get this error when installing, I receive it when I go to choose which the ssd to download windows.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. on EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

My BIOS is selected to Legacy -> UEFI I am not sure what else to do.

Last edited:

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019
I get this error when installing, I receive it when I go to choose which the ssd to download windows.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. on EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"
Okay, once again, disconnect all other drivers accept the one you want to load windows on.
They are. It still makes me pick a drive even though there is only one drive to pick. Also, the windows installer is a terrible quality, random red strayed lines, some words you can't even read.

jpriede9

Prominent
May 18, 2019