[SOLVED] Windows 10 fast startup doesn't work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2020
When my fast startup is enabled my PC boots into a blackscreen. When it is turned off it boots normal. How can I make fast startup work?

Solution
When my fast startup is enabled my PC boots into a blackscreen. When it is turned off it boots normal. How can I make fast startup work?
update drivers on pc.
What are specs of the PC? If its really old it could be the drivers you can use aren't designed for win 10.
If its fairly new, you should be able to get newer drivers for most hardware.
Try GPU drivers
May 12, 2020
have you tried starting up without speakers attached?

can you check your PSU scores in BIOS - or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583
PSU model is from 2018 so does support win 10 power modes.

So if you start pc without fast startup on, the PC has to start everything afresh, and screen starts as normal and works
If you start PC with fast startup on, the PC already has half its drivers loaded and only has to load a few things. But in your PC the screen goes off.

Something doesn't like the win 10 power modes.
I started it without the speakers for the first time and it worked normal. Sometimes I can also unplug and plug the DP cable in and it also works. If something changes with the second try I will write back. I hope it stays like that thank you :). And can you explain what you mean with the PSU thing?

May 12, 2020
have you tried starting up without speakers attached?

can you check your PSU scores in BIOS - or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583
PSU model is from 2018 so does support win 10 power modes.

So if you start pc without fast startup on, the PC has to start everything afresh, and screen starts as normal and works
If you start PC with fast startup on, the PC already has half its drivers loaded and only has to load a few things. But in your PC the screen goes off.

Something doesn't like the win 10 power modes.
Hey it's me again. I just wanted to tell you that it still doesn't work I really don't know what could be the problem. Do you have another idea what could be the problem?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hmm, try this.
Turn on fast startup
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

now I am just curious if you get black screen at startup in safe mode, as it would infer its not software to blame if it happens in safe mode.
It may not prove anything really as the action of going into the blue menus includes a restart, which is essentially a startup like you have with it off.

May 12, 2020
Hmm, try this.
Turn on fast startup
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

now I am just curious if you get black screen at startup in safe mode, as it would infer its not software to blame if it happens in safe mode.
It may not prove anything really as the action of going into the blue menus includes a restart, which is essentially a startup like you have with it off.
I chose the Debugmode and it didn't boot in black screen. But it never boots in a black screen when I restart my PC. It only happens after I completely turned my PC off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yeah, I know... was trying to get into a startup without drivers running, but i don't think you can in normal mode, and safe mode includes a restart which defeats the purpose.

how do we work out what driver is cause...

If it was a blank screen on every startup I could blame GPU drivers but they are from 2020 and should work...

Scarlet crush... either 2013 or 2015. It is old enough to maybe be cause, I just haven't seen it do this before. Its the driver for PS3/PS4 controllers, could try starting without it attached.

MIght have to resort to stopping things via autoruns at startup to figure out cause - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns although I would only do that to drivers (look at your driver list for names

Status
Not open for further replies.