Question Windows 10 Fast Startup no longer working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
I custom built my PC mid 2019. It is running 64bit windows 10. See image for the parts I used. Initially it would power up very fast in less than 15 seconds. Some time after that I was having problems with something making it fall asleep and I could only wake it via power button shut down and restart. I read on Microsoft to try and turn off Fast startup option which I did. It fixed the issue but now it takes almost 6 minutes to power up or restart. I re checked the fast startup option, but it had zero effect. I also turned off every single startup option I could via the task manager list.

pcbuild.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The instructions on how to update BIOS are on page 2-13 of manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8_WS_Z390_PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?model=WS Z390 PRO

Don't update during a thunderstorm or when you might lose power. Apart from that, it should be okay. PC may restart a few times after as it needs to retrain the memory.

updating BIOS could help.
But if you haven't changed any hardware recently it might not.

As i said, try running with minimum storage and see if it changes startup. if it doesn't, we at least know its not the 2 ssd.

Any extra items plugged into PC? As the delay can be caused by any hardware so unplug anything that isn't necessary.

Curious if its that slow booting into...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it show the bios flash screen or is it just a blank screen? Is it trying to load windows or is it before that point?

I would suggest unplugging the extra storage drives and see if it speeds up startup.

6 minutes makes me think BIOS is waiting for hardware to respond, so might as well start with the drives. If it makes no difference, you can remove them from causes.

Do you have the latest BIOS on motherboard? https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...390-pro/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=WS-Z390-PRO

fast startup probably works but if problem is hardware, it won't make any difference.

Reactions: CountMike

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Does it show the bios flash screen or is it just a blank screen? Is it trying to load windows or is it before that point?

I would suggest unplugging the extra storage drives and see if it speeds up startup.

6 minutes makes me think BIOS is waiting for hardware to respond, so might as well start with the drives. If it makes no difference, you can remove them from causes.

Do you have the latest BIOS on motherboard? https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...390-pro/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=WS-Z390-PRO

fast startup probably works but if problem is hardware, it won't make any difference.
Hi, Yes the Asus screen were you can enter bios settings hangs for a looong time. It gets to that screen fast and after it finally goes on the rest is fast. The PC is ready to use as soon as desktop loads. I haven’t manually changed bois since I did the build in 2019. I haven’t followed the link you provided yet and I’m a novice. I assume the instructions are included? Also any tips on updating it? Lastly I was thinking about upgrading the motherboard so I can move forward to a windows 11 operating system and put myself in a better position for the future. I was looking at Pro Art motherboards but need more research to get the best for my photo and video editing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The instructions on how to update BIOS are on page 2-13 of manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8_WS_Z390_PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?model=WS Z390 PRO

Don't update during a thunderstorm or when you might lose power. Apart from that, it should be okay. PC may restart a few times after as it needs to retrain the memory.

As i said, try running with minimum storage and see if it changes startup. if it doesn't, we at least know its not the 2 ssd.

Any extra items plugged into PC? As the delay can be caused by any hardware so unplug anything that isn't necessary.

Curious if its that slow booting into safe mode
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup settings
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

just testing if its a driver or not.

Reactions: sruddy and Order 66
Solution

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
When you disabled Fast Startup, did you also disable Hibernation? I think hiberfil.sys (hidden system file in root directory of Drive C : needs to be present for Fast Startup to work. If you're running out of free space on Drive C:, there may not be enough room for a new hiberfil.sys. It can get quite big.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/t.../deployment/disable-and-re-enable-hibernation

I normally disable Fast Startup because I find it interferes with booting different versions of Windows from multiple drives. As a result, I always delete hiberfil.sys to free up wasted space.

Reactions: sruddy

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
The instructions on how to update BIOS are on page 2-13 of manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket1151/WS_Z390_PRO/Manual/E14958_WS_Z390_PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?model=WS Z390 PRO

4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

Thank you! I will report back. :)

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Like @Colif said, you should be fine updating your bios as long as you don't lose power during the update. All the fears about bricking your PC due to a bios update are way overblown. I was terrified to update my bios until I decided I needed to fix an issue. I updated it and I had no issues whatsoever.

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
The instructions on how to update BIOS are on page 2-13 of manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket1151/WS_Z390_PRO/Manual/E14958_WS_Z390_PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?model=WS Z390 PRO

4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced

I unplugged all the usb inputs, the only thing I left plugged in were 2 usb dongles and the ethernet cable. Powers up from off in 22 seconds! Woo Hooo :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
I unplugged all the usb inputs, the only thing I left plugged in were 2 usb dongles and the ethernet cable. Powers up from off in 22 seconds! Woo Hooo :ROFLMAO:
sounds like one of them is dying as its why it takes forever to respond. BIOS will eventually time out and start PC ignoring device. Just need to work out which one it is now.

its like that, the only problems I had with my last PC were both caused by peripherals. A mouse and a set of speakers messed up in both cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.