Question Windows 10 File Explorer Crashing when selecting NVIDIA driver file

Apr 26, 2021
So I got another issue with my second monitor, hence I wanted to update my GPU drivers. So I went to the NVIDIA homepage and downloaded the correct newest Game Ready Driver and here the weird stuff happened. I wanted to open the downloads folder to install the driver and it just didn't open (green explorer bar just kept loading). so I restarted the pc and I could access the folder now but the icon of the supposed driver file was white and selecting it made the explorer freeze / crash. So I can't delete the corrupted file either. Downloading the driver again from the homepage ended up in a second corrupted file, and a third? I don't know what the heck is going on? Haven't found this issue anywhere in the web. I can access any other file in the downloads folder as well as any other file in any folder I have, just these driver installers make my explorer stop reacting and I can't even delete them? I'm so confused. Anybody got an idea?
System info:
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installiert am ‎08.‎04.‎2021
Betriebssystembuild 19042.928
Leistung Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
GPU: Nvidia Gforce RTX 2080
Driver I tried to download: https://www.nvidia.com/de-de/drivers/results/172572/

EDIT: SOLVED
Solution: DISABLING BITDEFENDER AV SHIELD, or more precisely disable the setting that it scans archives, it's a setting that, however, is off by default. I turned it on at some point cuz why not scan archives too? I tend to download .zip files and stuff from forums (trustworthy ones) but just to make sure wanted my AV to scan them, but apparently this messes with the nvidia driver file you download? I really don't see the connection but that one setting in Bitdefender was the problem.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021
Have you tried temporarily turning off existing antivirus software, especially Windows Defender, before going into the Downloads folder and installing? Most of the time I find it used by the Antimalware Service if I can't access a file in a folder.

Reactions: lorenzoenzo
Apr 26, 2021
Have you tried temporarily turning off existing antivirus software, especially Windows Defender, before going into the Downloads folder and installing? Most of the time I find it used by the Antimalware Service if I can't access a file in a folder.
will do that now and update. legit never had any issues with my AV and any file without it at least notifying me that file yx is "scanned" or "moved to quarantine". It doesn't usually mess with anything without at least telling me so I can undo wrong detections but ima give it a shot! Thank you

Apr 26, 2021

aaaaand you were right. deactivating btidefender shield made it possible for me to interact with the driver. damn that's wild. no notification or anything that it was messing with the file? Thank you very much. Kinda mindblown solution was so simple :D thanks mate

Reactions: Dutchman.