Windows 10 fresh install got an error and now have an HDD that doesn't get recognized when I try and install again , help me?

Illegalevil

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Okay so my computer has been acting up a lot of recently so I decided to format my hdd etc and install a fresh windows 10 from a usb, however when I did a custom install and deleted all the partions to install and used the unallocated space for windows to install on. It ended up saying that windows was not able to be installed over and over again. So I restarted the computer and tried again but now my hdd isn't being recognized. I'm on my phone btw.

Welcome to the community, Illegalevil!

I'd suggest you to try using a different SATA cable with that HDD and even try connecting it to a different SATA port on the motherboard. Another thing you should do is check your HDD manufacturer's website for any diagnostic tool (DOS version) to test the drive with. The utility will help you determine the health and SMART status of the drive without booting into any OS. If you have access to another computer, you could also plug the HDD there and see if it will get properly recognized.
One other thing comes to mind that could probably help you, is resetting BIOS using one of these methods: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
However, keep in mind that this would get your BIOS settings back to factory defaults, so you'd need to re-configure them afterwards.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Illegalevil

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
So I tried what you mentioned above, I reset BIOS, tried different sata ports and cables and the install still didn't detect it. I also tried the dos version for my hdd and it didn't detect it. Do I need to install the drivers for my hdd in order for it to be detected in the windows 10 installer? My hdd is detected in BIOS so I'm lost.

Hey there again, Illegalevil!

Yes, of course, you should give that a try! Use your motherboard Drivers Pack CD or go to their website and search for SATA/chipset driver updates. Once you have them installed, you might be able to get the HDD properly detected.
However, if the drive itself is dead, you won't be able to do that. I'd recommend you to try the drive in a different computer as well, this will help you determine the source of the issue.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
SuperSoph_WD

CraigG4C

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

When you "deleted all the partitions", did you know exactly what was on each one? Some PC architectures store important disk parameters on a (frequently hidden) partition. Look on the disk mfr's website for diagnostic software.

CraigG4C

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
...; Also, since some computer mfrs do things in idiosyncratic ways (... coff coff ..HP ....coff), check that mfr'site for any Win 10 info. Win10 itself is also somewhat eccentric, even compared to other Micro$oft products.